Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Keyboard shortcut while spotify is minimized?

Solved!

Keyboard shortcut while spotify is minimized?

Hello,

i am basically looking for shortcuts like skip to next song and pause, etc., however these should work while spotify is minimized, the shortcuts that i've found trough google are only working while Spotify is open.

Is there any way this is possible?

Thanks in advance.

Desktop version / Windows 10

36 Replies

Doesn t work....

Not if u have another application open!  that s the point of having hotkeys

Here's one that seems to work with windows 10, no hotkeys but a persistent Spotify control window 

Smallify

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Other-AUDIO-Tools/Smallify.shtml#download

I am using AutoHotKey becuase I don't have media buttons in my keyboard.

It works great even when spotify desktop is not in focus or even when minimized. 

This is script part I use. The first part is to easily change volume with key+mouse scroll. it's awesome.

;adjust volume with shift+mousewheel up and down
+WheelUp::Send {Volume_Up 1}
+WheelDown::Send {Volume_Down 1}

;play/pause and next previous keys with shift+pgup etc.
+F11::Send {Media_Play_Pause}
+F12::Send {Media_Next}
+F10::Send {Media_Prev}

using spotify desktop (version:1.0.75.483.g7ff4a0dc) on windows 7.

it's really easy.. if u have the "Fn" botton on ur keybaord just press it with "f1 f2 f3 f4...."
❤️

lol not on my pc it doesn't. The software wont grab the media commands sent. Every other software responds to the media keys. Currently using a logitech G710+, and used a corsair K90 and a razer BW chroma. media keys worked on all of them for every program except spotify.

I've tried on several high end keyboards. I've installed and ununstalled spotify. I'm not installing an app to make the window smaller, and i'm not using an auto hotkey script for something that should be built in. let me set my own keys. 

What I HAVE found works amazingly though is uninstall spotify, and use google play free.  Even the ad supported version of play is head and shoulders above this garbage program and garbage service. The hot keys work. I can sort everything how I want. and when i select a genre - it stays in its lane. No R& B in the middle of a techno playlist. 

Spotify was truly an underwhelming service in every single aspect.  

For OSX, I use Finely Tuned to create global hotkeys. I believe you can also use the built in "Automator" app.

You can use this: Spotify notifications

For web players there is: Beardedspice

Very unfortunate. There is an APP called HOTKEYZ for PC. It works on quite a few apps. Winamp being one. Now if we could only port spotify to winamp. lol. So many features Spotify needs. We pay for it every month for long time. Winamp and Hotkeyz are free. What gives? Why dont companies really invenst in other options when the populous pays them.

play/pause: win+Pause/Break

try win+pause/break

win+pause/break is a shortcut for the system properties. Would not recommend overwriting default windows shortcuts, and spotify does not use that as default.

Spotify has full support for media keys, which are available on most modern laptop keyboards and certain keyboards. If your keyboard has an FN key, it's most likely you have media keys nearby. Volume controls and alike.

If they don't work, it has been known that running Google Chrome in the background may cause conflicts

I appreciate your thoughts and input but it's just not an option. You would
have to be familiar with the program "Hotkeyz" to fully understand how it
can manipulate winamp/VLC and various other things. All with any hot key
you want to set up. Not everyone has a laptop. Not everyone has media
controls on a keyboard either.

Again thanks for trying. Spotify Is a wonderfully app. Just has some
limitations, just as every app out there does. Nothing is perfect. I will
cope. 😉

i don t undertand why such a popular app doesn t support hotkeys like OBS does for example. are there limitations for this particular app? and no my keyboard doesn t have media keys

that s what i m talking about!

As for now, Spotify doesn't support this yet. You can post your idea here
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/idb-p/ideas_live

Alternatively, you can create a keyboard macro with programs like AutoHotkey
if you wish.

Suggested posts