Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files only play .mp3, not .m4a

Local Files only play .mp3, not .m4a

Hi all, I am pretty new to Spotify and generally much prefer it to Itunes so decided to import my Itunes library.  Under local files I see all the tracks but th eonly ones that I can hear are the mp3s - m4a appear to be playing but I can't hear them.

The solution that I have come across on thses boards is to install Quicktime - but I already have that installed and it plays m4a files perfectly. 

Anyone got any ideas if I need something else to get them to play

Thanks, Paul

5 Replies

Hey @stuyvpc

I think you may need to reinstall Quicktime. Restart Spotify after you've reinstalled it.
Sometimes things may get a bit messy, and reinstalling often clears this up.
Let me know how it goes! 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @SebastVAIO

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it didn't make any difference.  Uninstalled Quicktime, rebooted PC, reinstalled Quicktime but still only plays MP3.

@stuyvpc

I wonder if those M4A files of yours are lossless (ALAC) files or not. I found users with lossless media not being able to play them unless they reverted their Spotify back to 0.9.15...

You can try installing K-Lite Codec pack as well. Spotify needs just the codec to play the media, not an entire Quicktime. 🙂
This pack will not install codecs that you already have and what are not outdated or corrupt..

This thread in here has some useful information.

It's a peculiar issue... Keep me posted!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I did try the codec but no luck again.  I am just converting the M4a files to MP3 - I know when enough is enough!  Thanks for your help though.  Cheers, Paul

I wonder if those M4A files of yours are lossless (ALAC) files or not. I found users with lossless media not being able to play them unless they reverted their Spotify back to 0.9.15... you can try https://converter.tips/convert/m4a-to-mp3

Suggested posts