Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files appear dead

Local files appear dead

OK, my local files are a mess.  I can't find anything relevant to help me.

Here's what happened.  I put my desktop into storage for six months while my house was remodeled.  

That meant to my dismay, that Spotify removed all my own cd music as well as my iTunes music because I didn't log into the desktop every 30 days.

Then when I got the desktop back I immediately had a D drive added for My Music and other files.  

So now even if Spotify were to want to, it could not find where the Local Files were because they used to reside on C and they now reside on D.

Plus, all of my CD music and iTunes in my playlists have been replaced with Spotify songs.  Not all of these are the actual songs I want to hear.  They are not the same cuts as I had on CD's etc.  

I want to delete all the Local Files out of Spotify, but I can't seem to do that.

So, I have over 1,000 Local Files I don't want Spotify to have any more plus I want to reload the music of my own CD's from the D drive.

What a mess and I'm thinking of going back to Amazon or iTunes.

Can anyone give any suggestions other than delete Spotify?

Thanks.

Kerry

4 Replies

I have no suggestions as I have made numerous posts over the years how Spotify seems to hate local files. Recently there has been a new bug that almost completely prevents me from listening to my favourite music. When I go to my favourite artists Spotify page I can't listen to songs that I have imported previously as local files. I can stream albums that I don't own as MP3 but when I click my favourite album, which I also own as MP3, then Spotify says that this song is not available but I can import it as a local file. Okay, I go to my local files but I can't play those either or add them to a playlist. The only way to go around these two problems is to add the songs from artist Spotify page blindly without hearing them to a new playlist. This playlist is then playable. So there is 3 ways to hear a song and only one barely works.

I mean, come on! I understand that Spotify wants me to discover new stuff every now and then but the hate towards my existing music is unbelievable. Years pass by but local files are neglected and now it's even banned to stream the same songs.

Thanks for sending this. It isn't going to solve my problem. However what it tells me is that although Spotify made a big deal out of saying I could bring in my own music, they weren't telling the truth.

More and more I'm looking to leave Spotify.

At 2013 and 2014 there was also similar problems. Back then the way to fix this issue was:

1. uninstall Spotify

2. Download older version of Spotify (easy to find with Google)

3. Not open the Spotify

4. Open the folder that contained the software- files

5. Changing couple of text files so that Spotify won't update itself.

The problem with that was that you were stuck with older version of Spotify.

Now I wanted to have the new version with local files and tried a new approach. Now I uninstalled Spotify and downloaded an older version (0.85) then I started Spotify and fixed the local files folder. Then I restarted Spotify and it was updated to 1.0.42. Now local files magically work again. Huh. Local files will probably be broken again after the next update but hopefully this would last a while.

I didn't think I was going to get a response so here's what I did. I went to user/myname/appdata/spotify/users/myname/user and changed the following file: local-files.bnk. I renamed it. I had to do this several times as Spotify did not like me renaming it. This is the file that is the Local Files file. Essentially I deleted all my Local files by renaming this file to local-files.bnk-2. Finally, after doing this several times and repeatedly turning off the option to bring in files from iTunes I got rid of all the Local files. What a huge hassle. Spotify kept turning on the import iTunes music by default. It was a nightmare. But once I got it turned off and got Spotify to let me rename that file, I got rid of all those files. Now, I can bring my iTune files in if I want to and put them back in play lists if I want to. But I had a huge mess. Spotify had brought in podcasts and a bunch of other things that were not my cd's. This time I can do it in a more organized fashion I hope. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Suggested posts