NEXT STEP

Local music with emoji in the title break Spotify

Local music with emoji in the title break Spotify

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Computers (tested on multiple computers)

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have an album I purchased that I would like to listen to inside of Spotify and add to playlists (as I've done with lots of my other local music), but whenever I try to, Spotify locks up and behaves very strangely. The album in question is titled "💜", and Spotify does not seem to like the fact that the album's title is an emoji (though it has no problem with playlists that are like this, so it seems emoji support doesn't properly span all of the Spotify app?). The album title shows up as "??????" in Spotify, and interacting with it in any way causes a lot of glitches.

8 Replies

Hey @fsy82d6sk34ice2, welcome to the Community.

Hope you are having a great time!
 Thank you for taking the time to report this.

If possible could you please try this in another machine with the exact same operating system by signing in with your account? 

Please report it here again if you can.

Thanks!

Hi there, and thanks for responding! I've tested this on multiple computers, all running Windows 10 and get the same results. I also tested it on a computer running Linux and got the same results.

Hey @fsy82d6sk34ice2,

Thank you very much for letting me know!

Could you please provide the exact version of Spotify?

Also the versions of the operating systems you have noticed this happen. 

I will let the right folks at Spotify know about this 🙂

Sure thing!

Operating systems:

Windows 10 Home, Version 1803, Build 17134.112

Linux Mint 18.3

Spotify versions:

1.0.84.344.gfc674f6f (Windows Store version)
1.0.80.480.g51b03ac3

Hey @fsy82d6sk34ice2,

Thanks once again and sorry for the inconvenience but could you bring here the Spotify link/URI for both the album in question and the artist?

Have a great day!

The album is a local file as I stated in my initial post. The album in question is this one, which as it turns out now that I check is in fact on Spotify, though is titled differently. While this definently solves my problem of being able to listen to this music in Spotify, the bug of Spotify seemingly not allowing some characters in album titles still stands.

Album in question (Spotify listing): https://open.spotify.com/album/2Z2goKOV5Y7GqzY7WeWwYM?si=FtxIZZkzRD-QY1wi8MmXzQ

Thank you for being so fast at replying!

Yes it does and they will take a further look into this 🙂

Have a nice week ahead!

Hey @fsy82d6sk34ice2,

After asking them, they told me that Spotify does not support certain Unicode characters. I am ignorant of the specifics, but I'm personally inclined to believe that the app only supports ASCII encoding, which has a variable width of 8 bits (newer character/emojis have a wider encoding, such as 16-bit or even 32-bit).

For instance, take David Bowie's album, ★. As the character isn't supported by Spotify's current character encoding, it's shown in-app as 'Blackstar'. Since you were importing the album as local files, the app crashed because it couldn't interpret the information contained in the album's metadata (namely, the purple heart character).

I will keep you update on this 🙂

Suggested posts