Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Lost all my offline music

Lost all my offline music

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Lenovo T540p

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro

My Question or Issue

I am in an area where I have very limited internet access right now, so I downloaded ~3000k songs. This worked fine until now, when Spotify all of a sudden crushed. Actually I had to restart my PC because it froze. After reopening Spotify, I had to login again and now all my songs are gone. I can still find them on my harddrive, however.

2019-12-27_12h48_02.png

Notably I had to point Spotify to the folder, where it should store all the music, because it kind of forgot the location after the crash (I store all Spotify data on my D drive). So the data is still there, but Spotify doesn't notice this and wants to download all the songs again (can't do this here unless I want to pay for super expensive internet). How can I make Spotify notice the data it already downloaded? I already pointed it there in the options.

3 Replies

Hey @JakeTheDog - help's here!

You shouldn't need a network connection to upload your local files from your computer to the Spotify app.

Just to confirm, are you not able to see any of your local files on Spotify? Have you tried searching for individual tracks that you'd expect to see?

If not, then could you try the following:

• Open the Local Files folder in the Spotify directory on your computer and remove all files contained in that folder
  • Open the Spotify app and choose the folder containing the original local files as a source from Settings?

Let us know how it goes! We'll be here in case you need any further help.

I think I might have been a little unclear of what I mean with "offline" music. I don not mean local files that I included in Spotify. These are placed in a different folder and I can access them via Spotify perfectly fine.

My problem is with music I downloaded via Spotify. It's stored encrypted in a folder I specified in the Spotify settings (offline storage). This folder holds all the music from playlists I marked with "download".

Today this happened to me again: Spotify crashed. I reopened it and all my offline music was gone in Spotify. The offline storage folder though still has 40GB of downloaded music. But Spotify forgot about it and all my playlists are not playable offline anymore. I have to download them again from Spotify.

Hey @JakeTheDog,

Thanks for clarifying that - apologies for the confusion!

In that case, do you mind trying a clean reinstall of the app following the relevant steps for your device listed in this Spotify Answer?

If that doesn't work, could you try creating a new folder in the Spotify directory on your D drive and setting it as your default storage location for offline files from your Spotify app settings?

Let us know how you get on! We'll be here in case you need any further help with this.

Suggested posts