Lots of data being stored locally

Solved!
5 people liked this

Lots of data being stored locally

Casual Listener
‎2012-03-06 07:16 PM

Hi,

i've found lots of data being stored on my hard drive in Local Settings/Aplication data/Spotify/Storage. Over 1.3GB. I'm not a heavy user of the app, so can't understand why so much data. They are not music files btw.

What are they for, and can i delete them?

Thanks

Peter

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
44 people liked this

Re: Lots of data being stored locally

Edited
Music Fan
‎2016-02-06 04:47 AM

I too am plauged by this, even after I move my cache location.

You can however change how much the Data file fills by editing the file named "pref" in the Roaming files

C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\prefs

But FIRST,

Close Spotify

go to:

C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data

and delete all files inside of it. This is that stored data.

THEN, go to:

C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\prefs

Edit it with any program, even wordpad (don't use notepad) and enter this option in at the bottom of the list:

storage.size=*desired amount of megabytes*

Here's mine set for just over 1 gig:

storage.size=1280

Save the file, and then you can reopen Spotify.

Hope this helps you all as much as it helped me!

6 people liked this

‎2017-10-06 09:22 AM

Think I found a solution! Just deny yourself the write permission to the folder C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data. 

Right-click on it, Properties > Security > Edit.. > Deny yourself (not System or Admin) the Write permission and apply that. 

Since now spotify is working as expected without any errors and the folder remains empty. 

Cheers

33 Replies
4 people liked this

Roadie
‎2012-03-06 07:20 PM

That's the cache location for Spotify.

The location is set in Spotify's preferences.

Although they don't appear to be music files, they are actually cached audio encrypted.

You can adjust how much space Spotify is allowed to use for it's cache in the preferences. (Edit >> Preferences >> Scroll down to Cache).

If you delete the files, Spotify will recreate it's cache. If you're a premium user, I'm pretty sure it's the same location used for storing offline playlists. So any playlists marked as offline, will be resynced.

Hope I've been of some help!

--
First was the record, then the cassette, the CD, then came along Spotify... that really did change everything!

Casual Listener
‎2012-03-06 07:30 PM

Great, thanks George for the explanation.

Now modified my cache settings.

Peter

8 people liked this

Regular
‎2013-09-19 08:48 AM

my location is set to a different folder, on my large disk. Still spotify stores junk in appdata/local/spotify. So the pref doesn't work. Please fix it, there is no need to store music when I'm not listening to the same music track over and over again. thanks

Joe
Community Legend
‎2013-09-19 10:37 AM

Only the cache location can be changed. The settings location can't be changed but uses very little space. You can change the cache size from preferences and set it as low as 1GB.

10 people liked this

‎2015-09-06 09:07 PM

This "very little space" is 10 GB on my C: disk, cache set somewhere else, what is wrong with this app...

6 people liked this

‎2015-12-31 01:52 AM
Same here!!
Windows just told me there is no more space on my 128GB SSD, so i looked up what uses the most and came across \AppData\Local\Spotify\Data folder with about 10 GB in it :(
Cache is also set to a different location but uses only about 255 MB ...
Highlighted

Edited
Regular
‎2016-01-10 09:22 AM

Same here. It is "only" 7,57 Gb which is a lot if you are running with a netbook or notebook with limited storage. 

What will happen if I just delete it and why can I not change the path for this?  

Edit: I untagged one of my playlists and the local storage is now down to 5,XX GB which is still too much if you ask me.

There are no further offline playlists now and I don't get what spotify would need 5,XX GB for.

2 people liked this

Edited
‎2016-01-15 08:22 AM

Sorry Joe, but you are wrong. Cache folder location doesn't affect played songs, only saved. C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data is location for all songs you just play and is not auto cleared. So you can without any problem delete it, but you have to do it manualy. In spotify is no setting for clean up or set size, maybe you should do it via some ini file, but i didn't look on it.

8 people liked this

Regular
‎2016-01-23 06:46 PM

Same trouble, i am premium, i set cache to another HD few month ago.

Today i see the cache have 3gb, and AppData\Local\Spotify have 10gb, this deteriorates SSD.

Thank to fix it, please add option to move all song to another drive.