Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does Spotify take up so much storage?

Guido

Answer:

Spotify stores songs on your devices' cache. This enables the music to start immediately after pressing Play. The amount of music stored in the cache shouldn't keep growing as new songs replace stored songs that haven't been listened to for a while. The more songs you have saved for Offline use, the more space your cache will take up however.

FAQ

Q: The Spotify app is taking up many GB's of storage, how can free-up space?

A: On mobile devices you can clear your cache when you find that your cache is growing quite large. Here's how:

Android: 

1. Tap Home.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Scroll to Storage, and select Delete cache.
  4. Tap Delete cache.

iOS:

1. On the home screen, tap and hold the Spotify icon until it shakes.
  2. Tap the X symbol on the icon.
  3. Restart your device
  4. Open the App Store then search for and install the Spotify Music app.

Q: Can I change the location where my music is being stored?

A: It's possible to change the location where your music is stored. If your Android device supports an SD card, you can choose to have the music stored there. On a Desktop computer you can change the location as well. Here's how to change the storage location on Android and Desktop:

Android:

1. Tap Home.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Other, then Storage.
  4. Select where you want to save your downloaded music.
  5. Tap OK. The transfer takes a few minutes, depending on the size of your library. You can still listen to Spotify as normal during the transfer. Spotify restarts afterwards.

Desktop:

1. Click the arrow next to your username in the top-right corner of the desktop app and select Settings.
  2. Scroll down and click SHOW ADVANCED SETTINGS.
  3. Scroll down to Offline songs storage to see where your cache is stored. 
  4. Click CHANGE LOCATION to store your cache somewhere else.

Note: On iOS devices you can't change the storage location.

Q: I'm still experiencing an issue, what can I do?

A: For all other things we recommend resetting your cache by performing a clean reinstall on the affected device. Keep in mind that you'll need to re-download all your offline songs once you've done this.

Didn't help? Search for more Spotify Answers, or create a new thread and ask the Community.