Lots of data being stored locally

Solved!

Re: Lots of data being stored locally

lakiss51

This solution is for windows - what about for android system (mobile, tablet)?

cgeering

<3

ilparra

Just for the sake of completeness, I'm using spotify on a linux computer and my config files are located in ~/.config/spotify and my cache in ~/.cache/spotify.

2 people liked this

brvsn
Casual Listener

what's wrong with this program? they give you an option to choose where to save cache files but they don't respect your choice! LOOL

who developed this?

1 person liked this

MSchnyder
Casual Listener

CACHE its easy to move in Spotify Setting, why you dont add this Setting also for DATA?

Data stored default local on C.....Appdata, which it's not good when C: its a "small" SSD:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0\LocalCache\Spotify\Data

By me i fixed the Problem with the Spotify Windows 10 App (not Desktop Version) with this CMD Command and moved DATA from C:.....Appdata to E:\Spotify Data:

(E: its by me a 8TB HDD).

Mklink "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0\LocalCache\Spotify\Data" "E:\Spotify Data" /D

By you "SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0" may be different, check your Spotify App Path ;)

MSchnyder
Casual Listener

Cache File Path its easy to change in spotify settings, but you can't change the Spotify DATA Path in Spotify Settings ;)

brvsn
Casual Listener

the problem IS that even after changing the data cache folder from Spotify settings cache is stored in default directory! The folder I chose was less then 1 MB, the default folder was 450 MB and I just installed the program and listen to few songs!

As reported by many other users that option simply does not work, maybe works for someone, don't know..

my problem was already solved when I wrote the post: I don't like the Store version because it's the same identical of the desktop app so no reason to use it on my PC; I made a sim linked  (mklink) of the whole Spotify dirs (one in Local one in Roaming) to two directories in secondary (non SSD) HD.

So problem solved that way with manual trick.

Highlighted
Solution! 9 people liked this

somebody_else

Think I found a solution! Just deny yourself the write permission to the folder C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data. 

Right-click on it, Properties > Security > Edit.. > Deny yourself (not System or Admin) the Write permission and apply that. 

Since now spotify is working as expected without any errors and the folder remains empty. 

Cheers

dorenkamptd

jkteddy772's solution worked for me, as well.  Spotify deleted the extra files after I restarted it with the storage size added to the prefs file.

vanish2k

Thanks somebody_else for his (her) solution, the one that worked for me!

SUGGESTED POSTS