Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Major stuttering and Spotify radio doesn't remember likes/dislikes

Solved!

Major stuttering and Spotify radio doesn't remember likes/dislikes

I have two problems, one is that Spotify songs will constantly stutter, even when loading nothing, and when loading a web page the stuttering gets 10x worse. I was talking to comcast last night for about 2 hours and nothing is wrong with my internet connection, and 30-40Mbps down should be PLENTY to stream spotify and load a few web pages. The only change I've made recently on this computer is I upgraded to windows 8.1. I've done a clean install of spotify multiple times, and checked/unchecked hardware acceleration. I've also scanned for viruses/malware, deleted all temporary files on my computer, cleared my cache, and defragmented my hard drive.
Second problem is that Spotify Radio will not remember which songs I've liked or disliked. They show up in the "liked from radio" playlist but the next time I run spotify, or even just half an hour later, it'll play a song I disliked earlier. The only songs that it remembers whether I chose thumbs up/down are songs I rated months ago.

If it matters this is not the account I use, it wouldn't let me log in to that account for some reason. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Solved the problem of music randomly not playing. All the music that wouldn't play were files locally stored on my computer, so I "unlinked" them (whatever that means) and removed them from the "local files" playlist, they work fine now. Stuttering seems to have gone away on it's own, at least for now.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Description

Two issues

1. Major stuttering on Spotify, while loading nothing and much worse stuttering while loading web pages

2. Spotify Radio does not remember songs that I liked/disliked

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

For Stuttering:

1. Turn on Spotify

2. Start Radio

3. Song stutters every now and then, at least once a minute

4. load any web page

5. Song immediately stutters insanely, until page is completely loaded. By Stutter I mean the song is like "There's one in ever-r-r-r-err-r-r--r-y crowd",

For Liking/Disliking:

1. Start spotify

2. Turn on Radio

3. Eventually like/dislike a song

4. Same song comes on later, even if it's a song I disliked, with no indication of wether I liked it or not, and letting me like/dislike it again

What I expected to happen

Listen to music without stuttering

Listen to Radio and have it remember my choices

What actually happened

Major stuttering no matter what I do

Little to no likes/dislikes are remembered, those that are remembered seem to be completely random

My Operating System

Windows 8.1 enterprise

Is your Operating System 32 or 64 bit?

64 bit

Do you have a Service Pack installed?

No

My Spotify version

0.9.6.81.gd359a796

My internet provider and country

Comcast, U.S.

Did you do a clean install of your current Windows version or did you upgrade from a previous version?

Upgraded from Windows 7

My username

blade4198

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

Nope

This is the account I use. Finally got to log in

Is your sound output directly to your speakers?

On your radio repeats, if you right click on the track and select Copy Spotify URI for the two tracks (you should be able to view tracks in the past from Play Queue > History), are those identifiers exactly the same?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Gonna be honest, I have almost no idea what you just said.
Yes my speakers are plugged directly into my laptop, it happens when using the built-in speakers on my laptop to.

I can find the Spotify URI for the songs playing on the radio but I'm not sure what identifiers you're talking about.

If you go to Play Queue > History you should see a list of tracks which you have played lately. 

I was trying to see if the "repeats" are really repeats, since you often find the same track is in the Spotify catalogue multiple times. If you find a track which you think is a repeat, right click on the track names and select copy Spotify URI and paste into notepad for the two tracks and see if they are the same. 😉

Peter

No song has repeated in a while, none on the list. I'll let you know when one comes up

Just liked a song, listened to a few others that came on the Radio, same song came on, neither like nor dislike was selected, exact same URI

Can you try a clean reinstallation and see if that makes any difference? 

Peter

I already have, many times. It doesn't change anything.

Marked as solution

Solved the problem of music randomly not playing. All the music that wouldn't play were files locally stored on my computer, so I "unlinked" them (whatever that means) and removed them from the "local files" playlist, they work fine now. Stuttering seems to have gone away on it's own, at least for now.

I realize this is an older thread.  I am having the same issue with Radio not remembering my likes/dislikes.  Sometimes it remembers, others it is the same track as before and it still presents me with the option to like/dislike it.  Other than that everything seems to work as I imagine the Spotify team intends it to.  My installation is like 2 days old on a fresh Windows 8.1 installation.  I checked the URL's of one of the repeat tracks and it seems to be the same as listed below:

Daft Punk – Lose Yourself to Dance

Daft Punk – Lose Yourself to Dance

Please Assist!

Suggested posts