Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Media Keys Don't Work Sometimes

Solved!

Media Keys Don't Work Sometimes

Hello.

I love Spotify. But there's a very strange bug that is reproducable, but I do not know the cause. There seems to be no reason for this to be happening, so I don't know.

The issue is that my media keys on my G710 keyboard, G930 headset and even G502 mouse from Logitech are non functional if Spotify is not in focus. They will be functional for a while even while Spotify if out of focus, however eventually the media keys just decide to stop working randomly. I have absolutely no idea of a cause and can't seem to find one.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Also, reply if you have the same issue.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Have you disabled the accelerated hardware option? I can't confirm it's an actual solution but giving it a try could do the trick!

You can try launching Spotify from a command line using:

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

If you aren't familiar with how to do this, easiest way is:

- Press Start.

- Type "run" and hit return. You should get a little "Run" dialogue.

- As long as your Spotify is installed in the default location, copy and paste the command above into the box (clear whatever is in it first).

- Press OK. Spotify should launch.

If nothing changes, let me know!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I would also check if Chrome is possibly hijacking the media keys, there are some extensions that take over the media keys and will enable it system wide. Check by going into the three dots menu > More settings > Extensions > scroll down to the bottom right corner and click "Keyboard shortcuts", and see if any extensions are trying to use the media keys.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey @user-removed! Welcome to the Spotify Community!

I'm having a similar issue with my  CM Storm Devastator keyboard but found out it's only happening because of two games, FIFA 17 and Skyrim. On FIFA 17 I have a major delay of response for some reason and on Skyrim I can't use the media keys at all.

Is your situation any similar to mine or is it just when Spotify is minimzed, on tray or just not being clicked on?

Thanks for the reply @julian_l!

Unfortunately, I cannot narrow my issue to any specific game. Instead, it happens randomly and only when Spotify is minimized or I'm out of focus. When I'm actually in the Spotify window, it works normally. I can use my media keys in every game, when they work. Thanks!

Marked as solution

Have you disabled the accelerated hardware option? I can't confirm it's an actual solution but giving it a try could do the trick!

You can try launching Spotify from a command line using:

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

If you aren't familiar with how to do this, easiest way is:

- Press Start.

- Type "run" and hit return. You should get a little "Run" dialogue.

- As long as your Spotify is installed in the default location, copy and paste the command above into the box (clear whatever is in it first).

- Press OK. Spotify should launch.

If nothing changes, let me know!

Marked as solution

I would also check if Chrome is possibly hijacking the media keys, there are some extensions that take over the media keys and will enable it system wide. Check by going into the three dots menu > More settings > Extensions > scroll down to the bottom right corner and click "Keyboard shortcuts", and see if any extensions are trying to use the media keys.

Worked for me! Thanks! It was Google Play Music taking control. I changed "Global" to "in Chrome" and that did the trick! 

So far, so good! It works every time I need it to work, and I'll update this post if it breaks again. Thank you!

Your solution has been marked accepted and the issue was resolved.

Glad to know both @Swanny and I were able to assist you guys on your issue!

Yes! Please keep us updated if anything happens and if you have any other doubt please let us know 🙂

Hey, @julian_L!

This is pretty weird, but the issue started happening again. I'm using the hardware acceleration fix you provided, however the issue persists. In fact, the media keys no longer work even on startup. I'll keep you guys posted on any other adverse effects of this. Thanks!

My friends are also having the same issue. One of my friends has the same version of the keyboard, and his media keys still don't work. I'll send him the fix and see what happens.

-Stewie140

Hmm that is quite weird! Have you tried @Swanny's answer?

Seemed to work, have tried a lot of different things...

Thanks a lot mate!!!

Suggested posts