Memory Leak?

Highlighted

Re: Memory Leak?

zerkms
Gig Goer
No, they are busy removing useful features.
Highlighted

lucysky
Roadie

Yep, I can confirm the memory problem...

I'm running 1.0.6 on OS X (Mountain Lion), on a Mac with 12GB of RAM. Yesterday, I launched Spotify and listened to about 7 or 8 tracks, then the music stopped. The client was unresponsive, so I checked Activity Monitor and saw this:

Spotiy_Helper.png

Almost 6GB of RAM used out of 12 and 100% CPU usage? Half an hour after launch? Come on guys, this is ridiculous. It is absolutely unacceptable for a music player to use that amount of resources, this has to be fixed. I thought the whole rewrite-disaster was supposed to make the client better... so many features have been removed and STILL the client performs about 100 times worse than version 0.8.5, which is at least 2 years old. You gotta be kidding me.

And before someone recommends the "cure for everything" named reinstall: I have been removing and reinstalling the client 3 or 4 times in the last week because of the memory hogging (and yes, I removed the caches, the plist files, the Application support folder... everything related to Spotify).

Come on Spotify, for the love of god, make this client usable!

PS: I should mention that I was using the new integration with Last.fm when the above screenshot was taken. For those not aware of it: you can start and control playback in Spotfy via the Last.fm website, but that shouldn't have any effect on the memory usage.

Highlighted

Dusan88
Regular

I've noticed memory leak too in the latest version. I have 4GB RAM, but Spotify regulary consumes up to 1GB and really affects the performance of my PC...

Highlighted

Koaieus
Regular

So we have a memory issue that is

1. Replicable
  2. Not limited to one operating system
  3. Causing problems and at least inconvience for a wide range of Spotify users
  4. Will obviously not be solved by reinstalling

I'd like for the Spotify staff / developers to pick up on this and kill the bug that's causing this, please.

Highlighted

lucysky
Roadie

@Koaieus wrote:

I'd like for the Spotify staff / developers to pick up on this and kill the bug that's causing this, please.

^ this. Stability and performance improvements should be a priority for the fine folks at Spotify - I don't need fancy new features, I need a client that behaves and doesn't consume half of the available resources on my machine.

A quick update from my side: thanks to a tip from a mod over at the Last.fm forum I tried the old trick of leaving the preferences screen open in the Spotify client - and what can I say, I works like a dream. No resource hogging, only 600MB used compared to almost 6GB before (and the client doesn't claim several GB of inactive memory anymore either).

Spotify_RAM_Usage.png

Sure, this workaround might be a no-go for a lot of folks since you cannot actively use the client. But for me it's a compromise I can live with, because I normally start playback and don't look at the client again until I need to switch playlists or something like that. I don't mind having the preferences screen open at all times, especially if it solves the memory issue until the bug gets fixed.

Highlighted

tiginkaptanoglu
Casual Listener

Let's keep posting screenshots of memory usage until they fix it Smiley Happy

spotmem.png

Highlighted

mooglemann

Adding my Macbook Pro 15" 2013 macOS Sierra to the mix.

ConnyJ

I'm just gonna add that this is still an issue (atleast for me) and this thread is from 2015...

I'm using version: 1.0.62.510.g918a790c (the new Windows Store app)

This is a really obvious memory leak! How has it not been solved yet?

SUGGESTED POSTS