Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Monstrously annoying problem with Spotify

Solved!

Monstrously annoying problem with Spotify

My Question or Issue

For many, many months (if not years) I have had a problem that mainly concerns the performance of the desktop application.

It takes ages to get started. Literally, while it is running, I can easily make myself breakfast and coffee or tea. I have never measured the time, but it seems to me that the start of the application may take up to 10 minutes.

In addition, the search option breaks very often. After entering a few artist names, Spotify simply stops searching. In such a situation, most often I am forced to turn off the application and turn it on again. But that's not all, because despite turning off the application, its processes are still hanging in the task manager. I have to turn them off and only make a fresh start.

I've tried turning Hardware Acceleration off and on, doing a fresh install, disconnecting an account, or deleting all the leftover files after uninstalling along with the cache. It didn't do anything.

Please help.

Plan Premium

Country Poland

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro

PC Specs:

- CPU: Intel 6500,

- RAM: 8GB,

- GPU: 1060 6GB

- MOBO: MSI Z170

- HDD: WDC WD10EZEX-60WN4A0

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @berzerkinglemur

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a regular one. Make sure to download the app again from the Microsoft Store

If this doesn't do the trick, something else you could try is to clear your hosts file by following the steps in this guide.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @berzerkinglemur

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a regular one. Make sure to download the app again from the Microsoft Store

If this doesn't do the trick, something else you could try is to clear your hosts file by following the steps in this guide.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I have this problem on mine as well, and also on my phone. Spotify Premium is one of the few subscriptions I pay for and yet the apps for it are the ones with the most problems.

I will try the suggested solutions when I have time but I have spent way more time troubleshooting Spotify than I intended when I signed up. I just want a music service that works! I have noticed Spotify rolling out some new features but it would be great if that effort could be spent improving the base functionality of the products. 

Hi Eni,

Thank you for your help.

It turned out that it is actually very important to uninstall Spotify exactly according to the attached instructions. I've been using the new installation for the third day and so far I don't see any problems. Spotify starts up in no time and the search option works with no problem.

Hope no similar problems arise again.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi there @berzerkinglemur,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

We're glad to hear that the clean reinstall worked and you're enjoying the app as expected. As you mentioned, it's very important to carefully follow each step of the clean reinstall guide, as it's very thorough and helps to get rid of any cached or corrupted files that might cause trouble.

If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, we're always a post away.

Have a great week 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts