USA

Device

(PC)

Operating System

(Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

Most songs I try to play won't work.

Songs that do work: 
-Stuff that I have previously saved (but not if I've saved them in the same sessions).

-More recent songs from playlists I frequent

-Less songs from playlists I rarely see or have never seen.

I'll click on a song that isn't grayed out and the play button will turn into a pause button like it's about to start the song, but the time bar stays at 0 and no album art shows up.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @blanketbox !

Can you reinstall your app and try the following:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. Go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @blanketbox !

Can you reinstall your app and try the following:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. Go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

I ran notepad as an administrator but whenever I try to save the file it says I don't have permissions to save in this location and asks to save in Documents instead.

I ended up saving it in Documents then cutting and pasting it in the folder I wanted to save it in.

The new hosts file is a "Text Document" instead of a "File".  Is this alright?  Should I delete the original hosts file?

Sorry for the late reply.  I thought this would fix it but I opened up Spotify awhile later and have been experiencing the same issue again.  Every time I try and fix it the problem comes back and that line in the "hosts" document comes back.

Suggested posts