Premium

Country

Switzerland

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I recently started to transfer all my music from the pre Spotify era to Spotify by looking up every single track or album. I couldn't find some artists which is fine but I also noticed that some singles or albums of other artists were missing even though everything else of said artist is available. When I Googled those albums I could find most of them but they were greyed out and I couldn't play them. When looking them up in the app those albums didn't show up. I could make them show up in the app by copying the album link from my browser but the songs were still greyed out and unable to play.

Why is that so? Does Spotify have regional locks? If yes, why? I thought if something is on spotify it's available everywhere in the world. And why only on certain albums but not all music of an artist? Examples are the single In For The Kill by La Roux (https://open.spotify.com/album/0yriRaz3CB1RIhSC84Z7jM) or Benny Benassi's album Electroman (https://open.spotify.com/album/6NPb3Bb77dtZhnypL0W0fv).

Thank you for helping me understand how this works 🙂

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there kerio1212!
You are unable to play certain tracks, because the Record Label or Artist has decided to not make it available in certain countries. You can ask the Record Label or Artist why this is.

Hope I could help!
Have a nice day 🙂

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there kerio1212!
You are unable to play certain tracks, because the Record Label or Artist has decided to not make it available in certain countries. You can ask the Record Label or Artist why this is.

Hope I could help!
Have a nice day 🙂

Wow to be honest I think that's pretty dumb. I mean. either you make your music available to everyone or no one. In the end you only miss out on revenue. Can you maybe give some insight into the reasoning of an artist/record label to not release only certain albums in some countries?

Since I don't have an easy option to contact the artists I will most likely have to live with it and get the music somewhere else. Thank you for your help and a good day to you as well!

Suggested posts