Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music stop playing after 5 seconds

Solved!

Music stop playing after 5 seconds

Plan

Premium

Country

Spain

Device

HP Laptop 15

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I can't play music on my Desktop Spotify app (version 1.1.5.152.gf0f488f1). Music starts playing and then stops after 5/6 seconds. Message of "Can't play the current song" appears all the time. I've tried to delete the app and reinstall it; also I disabled the hardware acceleration option, but still doesn't work. Can anybody help me, please?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello,

I've fixed the problem in my case.

It seems that Spotify has added an entry into the "hosts" file on my computer that is conflicting with the deskop app.

In my case this resolved the issue (close Spotify before doing this on all devices)

1. Browse to the following location on your computer:C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc

2. Copy "hosts" to your desktop to make a backup to work with.

3. Right click on the "hosts" file on your desktop and select "open with"

4. Select "notepad"

5. Your computers hosts file will now open.

6. scroll down to the bottom and delete anything related to spotify.

7. Copy this file from your desktop back to your C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc folder and replace the file located there.

8. Open Spotify and your songs will now play for longer than 6 seconds.

I hope following the above steps resolve the problem for anyone that has it, in my case it's working flawlessley now.

Cheers,

KnowingOwinga

View solution in original post

23 Replies

I have the exact same problem. Tried to reinstall spotify, doesn't work. cleaned cache and restarted my pc several times but it wont play any song longer than 5 seconds.  its going on for 2 weeks now.

Same issue it only happens on a windows 10 laptop and any of my family members using Spotify.  Please help. Been like this for two weeks. do we get a credit for every day it doesn't work.. It seems to work fine on the phone devices.

Hi,

I have the exact same problem, but it's 6 seconds for me, the web player didn't work last week but after the most recent update that is now working so i'm using that as an alternative.

I have tried everything imaginable, restarting, re-installing, scanning for viruses, clearing my cache, disabling hardware acceleration, re-installing my audio drivers, the desktop app just simply refuses to play songs for longer than 6 seconds regardless of the song or playlist that is selected.

What I have noticed is that I can reliably change the amount of time that I can play a song by adjusting the "streaming quality" setting from "automatic" (5 seconds) to "very high" (songs don't even play)

What is very strange is that if someone else logs into the desktop app on my computer the music plays fine regardless of settings, and if I log into my spotify on someone elses computer as my account it works correctly.

It's an incredibly strange issue that is very hard to troubleshoot, i'd appreciate some support from Spotify on what may be the cause, as i'm definitley not going to re-install my OS for one app.

As a paying premium user and Spotify being one of the leading song streaming services the fact that Spotify doesn't have some form of dedicated support is ludicrous to me.

If I do manage to fix the problem on my own i'll post the fix back here, I hope you do too.

Cheers,

KnowingOwinga

Marked as solution

Hello,

I've fixed the problem in my case.

It seems that Spotify has added an entry into the "hosts" file on my computer that is conflicting with the deskop app.

In my case this resolved the issue (close Spotify before doing this on all devices)

1. Browse to the following location on your computer:C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc

2. Copy "hosts" to your desktop to make a backup to work with.

3. Right click on the "hosts" file on your desktop and select "open with"

4. Select "notepad"

5. Your computers hosts file will now open.

6. scroll down to the bottom and delete anything related to spotify.

7. Copy this file from your desktop back to your C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc folder and replace the file located there.

8. Open Spotify and your songs will now play for longer than 6 seconds.

I hope following the above steps resolve the problem for anyone that has it, in my case it's working flawlessley now.

Cheers,

KnowingOwinga

Same 5 second play then "spotify can't play this right now."

OSX 10.14.4,

Spotify version 1.1.6.113.gb388fe17

it worked ur a king tyvm

No problem, glad I've helped someone 🙂

It worked for me as well! Thanks a lot!

Nice job @KnowingOwinga - thanks for lending our users a helping hand 🙂

Stay awesome!

spotify:track:3W3RQneS2yhA7E5l1dJW18

I can't thank you enough. The moment i heard the song pass the 6 sec... OOOHHHH

You make people happy KnowingOwinga! Thanks again!!

This worked on me thanks! tried everything else already.

I have the same problem (and in addition cannot download songs/playlists anymore. It starts the process , but doesn't complete it). I tried your solution, but in the hosts file I don't see anything related to spotify.  I'm attaching screenshot of the hosts file. 

Will be happy if anyone can help with the problem.

P.S. the problem i only on this desktop. I don't have problem on other devices.

Spotify problem.jpg

THis fixed my issue perfectly! Thanks so much 🙂

Hi Raya1,

Unforuntaley i'm no longer in a position to continue troubleshooting this problem anymore as mine is now working and the fix i the posted seems to have worked for a large number of people, it's unfortunate that it doesn't for you in this case.

Best bet is to either start a new topic (as this one is marked as solved and will most likely not be seen again by any Spotify moderators) or gather all the information you can from other forum posts and research.

With the problem only being on one device it could be a Windows firewall permissions problem, or it could be that your router is blocking the necessary ports to reach Spotify, i'd test to see if the web app allows you to play songs and troubleshoot from there. If you are familiar with networking I would recommend setting up a DMZ to exclude your computer's IP address through your router. This would be a definitive test to see if it's router or firewall related. Or if your device is wireless setup a hotspot on a mobile and see if you can play songs when connected to that network.

Without actually looking at your computer there isn't much I can do i'm afraid as anything I recommend is pure speculation.

I hope you find a fix regardless.

Cheers,

KnowingOwinga

Capture.PNG

Same exact issue is solved finally - I tried all the other solutions and nothing worked until I got direct chat help and they deleted my entire account and had me sign up again using afterwards, all fixed.  Good Luck! 

Fantastic, thanks so much!

Run spotify app as administrator as a last resort if nothing above works

Run spotify as administrator it works fine

for me there is no line related to spotify in hosts.now what can i do?

Suggested posts