Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music stops playing when an audio device changes.

Music stops playing when an audio device changes.

Alright, so imply put whenever a play device changed, e.g. i plug in my headphones spotify works just fine, but if i unplug my headphones it will stop playing and say "Cant Play This Song" so i have to close and restart spotify, and this happens daily, its becomming very annoying, it hapens on both my pc and my laptop, it seems to be only when the deive its playing over get disconnected and it seems it has trouble changing back to the current device.Anyone come across this? Any fixes?

2 Replies

I also have this problem. It's annoying because I used to use a different service app which could handle this automatically (Groove Music). What happens is that I normally play sound through my monitor's speakers, but they turn off when the screen turns off. With Groove Music, that would make it automatically switch the sound to my external speakers (I guess because Windows switches to them as the new default playback device). With Spotify, however, the sound stops being output and the message "Can't play the current song." appears in a blue bar at the top of the Spotify app. I then have to restart the app.

It's easy to reproduce this by going in to Windows' Sound control panel and then disabling the current playback device whilst a song is playing. Spotify can't handle it.

My workaround now is to set the default playback device to my external speakers before I play songs on Spotify, so I don't have to deal with the sound stopping when my monitor goes to sleep. Hoping for a better solution though!

I just found another workaround is to use the Spotify Web Player instead of the desktop app. I just tried it with Microsoft Edge. I think I won't bother with the desktop app anymore!

Suggested posts