Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music won't play on my PC. Not on web or on the app.

Solved!

Music won't play on my PC. Not on web or on the app.

Plan

Premium

Country
Belgium

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue
So my problem is when i try to play music trough my app or web browser and try to click play the bar won't move and the image of the song isnt showing up. Even my old albums that i made, i can't play them cause my albums are empty on my PC however i try to play the music on my phone it all just works fine even when i play my old albums. I tried to reinstall even older version of spotify, doesn't work. I tried to reinstall login with a diffrent account, doesn't work. If someone has any thoughts on what is possibly wrong with, can you please help me?
Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

1) Go to : "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc"

2) Open the file "hosts".

Make sure to open "hosts" and not "hosts.txt", because the latter one is in fact not being used by the system and is just an example of a host file. (you might want to turn on the file extensions and also make the browser show hidden files; you can search for it on the web)

2) Remove all lines containing the word "spotify" in them.

3) Save the file. (you will need admin rights)

4) Spotify will sync with your other online devices and will be able to play music right away. Even without a restart.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Hi there @Siebevh !

The issue you are experiencing with the desktop app is a known one and Spotify is investigating the issue. There is an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. There is a workaround described there which seems to be fixing the issue for most of the users. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon.

I wish you a nice day 🙂

Marked as solution

1) Go to : "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc"

2) Open the file "hosts".

Make sure to open "hosts" and not "hosts.txt", because the latter one is in fact not being used by the system and is just an example of a host file. (you might want to turn on the file extensions and also make the browser show hidden files; you can search for it on the web)

2) Remove all lines containing the word "spotify" in them.

3) Save the file. (you will need admin rights)

4) Spotify will sync with your other online devices and will be able to play music right away. Even without a restart.

This worked! Thanks for the clear and simple instructions and simple solution! 🙂

You're a legend. Thank you so much

Jesus Christ. I've had this problem for like a week now. Thank you so much you magnificent being! 😄

Hi @TYZ_Momoy ,

I tried doing the same as you told, but it is stll not working for me.
I am a Windows 7 user 
Free Account
India

Also when I tried doing the steps, the 'hosts' file did not have any 'Spotify' word in it.
So it was already done for me. But still my Music/Playlists won't show/play on the web and even on the Desktop app.

Please Help! 

can you send me a photo of the host folder?

This is a photo of the folder and you have to open the file 'hosts' with something like Notepad++ or just the normal Notepad on your PC.

Spotifycommunity.png

Here it is.

hosts.JPG
hostsfolder.JPG

Thank you so much

tries for these names in the host folder just like mineeae.png

Thank you SO much for posting this. My spotify has been absolutely unusable over the past few months and this was an easy solution that fixed my problem instantly. You have no idea how much I appreciate this. Thank you!

i tried the solution before but it didnt do anything. I guess i should just give up and wait until they fix it.

If they ever do, anyway. It's been about 2 months now

Suggested posts