Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My friend in another state can't play my local files (mp3)

My friend in another state can't play my local files (mp3)

Hello, my name is scott. I just recently got Spotify as requested by said friend in another state so he could show people my beats. Only issue is, my beats(mp3) are greyed out for him.

I made my own playlist- after countless hours of trying to even find me on spotify he finally found my playlist, but he cannot follow me or play any of my local tracks. I don't know how to sync my local files to spotify nor do I have a mobile phone to aid this process or even know if this would work. Also when I use the URI link it let's me share, to paste in google my own local files are greyed out for me lol... But not when I open Spotify and play it from the desktop app. tf is going on?

Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

N/A

Operating System

Windows 7 Ultimate

My Question or Issue:

What do I have to do for my files to be playable for my friend in another state? Or even just some random person that found me?

I tried: too many options and feel like this should be automatic for this program.

There should just be a sync button somewhere in the app for Desktop/mobile devices. I also have my firewall set to let Spotify do it's thing (Both boxes checked in the settings for my firewall) 

is there a way to just simply upload your tracks to the app? Like soundcloud? boom bam, done, no headache? or even newgrounds lol

you upload it: Done and everyone can listen.

if spotify were a bomb, there would be thousands dead by now 😮

14 Replies

Hi @ScottyBeats, welcome to the community!

When we upload local our files, we can only listen to it in our own devices.

Maybe you could create an artist page for yourself in Spotify and then upload your beats so that everyone could listen to it, how's that sound? 🙂

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Well son of a B.. Touche

I'll look into it. Thanks and I appreciate the fast response.

I blew up 😮

Haha, you're welcome my friend 🙂

Let me know if you need further help!

BittencourtSpotify Star

Can you recommend what one would do as a Hip Hop/rap beat producer?
can I take my current profile and just upgrade it into one?

Well, as this is big step in your career, I recommend that you get familiar with the whole process. You can start from here:

https://artists.spotify.com/faq/popular#how-do-i-get-my-music-on-spotify

Don't forget to send me the link of your profile when it's ready!

BittencourtSpotify Star

Word, I apreeciate the help. I may be back for more newb questions XD

and when I do send you a link, you can't be sugar coating **Blep**, gotta tell me if it's flaming hot trash or not. If it's in your heart or not to be blunt- gotta be real 100% of the time 🙂

I know this is now off topic of my op. but, I found myself trying to get Spotify for artists, and I'm stuck... How do I even get it?

Hey @ScottyBeats,

Spotify for Artists provides artists and their managers with audience stats and tools for managing their profile on Spotify.

Artists and managers can get access here. Spotify will then take a close look at the information you provide and provide access after they confirm who you are.

It's also possible to get instant access to Spotify for Artists with their preferred and recommend distributors.

Once you have access, you can see stats about your music on Spotify. You can also update profile images, the artist bio, and Artist’s Pick, all from one place. You also become a verified artist, so your profile on Spotify gets a blue verification check mark.

Tip: You need to have a Spotify account to get access to Spotify for Artists. If you don’t have a Spotify account, you can set one up when you’re getting access.

BittencourtSpotify Star

Hey @ScottyBeats that was fast!

I'm listening to it and it sounds good. I miss the vocals though.

By the half of the album it gets a bit repetitive in my opinion. Unfolded is great, and it would be even more if you dropped some vocals on it 🙂

Keep up the good work!

BittencourtSpotify Star

yeah I only make the beats 🙂 if you miss vocals you should drop some on it and send me a link :)))) but that's why I am here. The mood is set for someone else to take stage. to use my beats for inspiration. 

PS, if you have subwoofers you're in for a treat.

and thanks for the listen 🙂

That's great, @ScottyBeats -- let me know when you have new stuff on!

BittencourtSpotify Star

Why can't friends listen to a playlist I made from my local files? 

Hi @Dene111!

Local files are only playable on the device they're located on. This means that while you can listen to local files that are stored on your device, others won't be able to do so on their device. The same goes the other way: you won't be able to play a friend's local files, since the tracks aren't stored on your device, but on theirs.

Hope this clears things up. Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts