Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New Desktop Experience - your feedback wanted!

Solved!

New Desktop Experience - your feedback wanted!

Spotify is testing a new way for you to connect with your music on Desktop. The new desktop experience features an all-new design, streamlined with the Spotify apps on all your devices. 

This is a brand-new experience and some parts are still being fine-tuned. Be sure to give feedback with the steps below to let the right folks know what you think could be improved.

The other Rock Stars and I got the chance to test the new desktop experience first and now more users will be able to test it out and give their feedback for the team. If you are a passionate Spotify user and would like to join the Rock Star Program and be part of cool experiences like this, then check out this help article.

image.png

How do I know if I’m using the New Desktop Experience?

The new desktop experience is not hard to spot with its new design! Your Library looks like this for example:

Why did the app change? 

This test is rolled out to a specific group of users at this moment. It’s not possible to sign up for this right now, but your interest is really appreciated. If you’re interested in testing out new versions of Spotify before everyone else, check this out: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/How-do-I-become-a-Spotify-Beta-tester/ta-p/4551518

If you’re looking for more information about how tests work and about how features are released, take a look here: https://support.spotify.com/article/why-am-i-seeing-different-features-than-my-friends/.

How to give feedback?

This thread is your go-to destination for asking questions, getting help for issues you may have, as well as to share your impressions and feedback on this new desktop experience. 

Keep in mind that pictures can say a thousand words, so if you have any screenshots of something you’d like to share of your experience be sure to post them here as well! The right teams at Spotify take their time to read the posts in this thread and use your feedback to fine-tune this new experience for everyone.

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
1,317 Replies

Adding songs to a playlist does not order them properly:

Go to the local files list, order by album, select all the tracks for a given album (ordered properly by track number), add them to a playlist => the tracks you just added in the playlist are not in the order that you added them.

I'm so tired of doing your job for you, just hire some QA team. At that point it has become pretty obvious that you're forcing us to do your tests for free to save money. Whether on desktop or on mobile, the quality of the app keeps decreasing. Useless features are being added at the cost of breaking fundamental features for a music player. Adding songs in the order we select them seems pretty basic to me.

I don't even know how this can be released to paying customers. I hope all of this will pop out on Twitter or on a renowned media some day, and if it does the "shitstorm" that will follow will be well deserved.

You're just keeping users because you have a better music catalog than others (by the way that's the only reason I'm still there, the first day a competitor has the same titles as Spotify I'm gone because of your crappy applications).

I just hope you're just some stubborn managers and that your devs are warning you about your stupid policy of making us pre alpha testers of your UI. What you're doing is so wrong and time consuming that I have lost any goodwill towards Spotify. I just hope a competitor will level their catalog with yours so I can leave Spotify for good and never come back.

Anyway if you can just at least fix this bug that would be a start, but since you don't reply to anyone and ignore all our reports because of your lack of transparency we won't know for sure if you're going to fix that. We don't even have a clear changelog about what has been fixed from one version to another. I don't understand how this joke can be allowed to continue.

Dear Spotify Owners and Managers, I have a sense, that You had hired so many "UI designers", which eating your and our money, and which have the possibility to break everything they touch. I have a cost-free advice for You: Fire them!!! And give this money that they get, to the musicians, that make beautiful music.

How can I enable new ui?

Hey @YonYonson 

Right now there is no option to enable the new UI while it is in testing. Users are randomly selected.

You can read more info about Spotify feature testing in this help article here

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

How about an option that disables the new UI?

Just saying...

You should pay some attention to the performance of your client before applying the latest GUI fads!

Every single time I open my Spotify application (Windows 10, latest build), I get a blank window for anywhere varying between 5 - 20 minutes (see attachment for example).

This happens on all desktop PCs which I own, so it's not isolated to one machine.

I have disabled hardware acceleration as suggested in other posts, but to no avail.

It's got to the point where I have to start Spotify and come back to it half an hour later because I know it will just be a blank screen for ages.

It's a real turn-off actually. I love Spotify on my Android device, it fires up instantly, but on my PC - Oh My Goodness, don't even go there. I swear at it on a daily basis, every time it starts.

*Edit: added a missing word.

Spotify Blank Loading Screen.png

@YonYonson Here's a way to enable the new UI:

Go to %appdata%\spotify
Locate the prefs file and open it with a text editor
Add the following line: ui.experience_override="xpui"
Restart Spotify.

(In my case, the path was Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_XXXXX\LocalState\Spotify )

Could the sticky info at the top please be updated since the previous posting date of nearly two months ago? At one time that info would include the fixes coming in the  next release which was at least encouraging in terms of what we could look forward to having resolved. (A full change log would be optimal, but in lieu of that...)

Thx! Its work

@Arikabeth Is there a command that disables the new UI?

@Dan

Hello.

Are you planning to add an "Unavailable Tracks" setting?
(such a setting exists in the Android application)

Because from time to time there are inaccessible tracks and this causes discomfort.

2021-03-17_14-22-25.jpg

(1.1.54.592.gc0b20638-a)

Getting there with the new app!!!!

Now, if you just please could remove the warning message that pops up EVERY SINGLE TIME when I want to remove more than one song at a time.

Thx

/Magnus

Skärmavbild 2021-03-17 kl. 12.50.58.png

I have few complaints about Recently played page. One is that I have to delete songs from the page one by one which takes time. You should put a button to delete all songs at once.

Another one is that the deleted content from that page keeps coming back after some time. Every time I open Spotify I always see these songs coming back, so I have to delete them again.

I have not heard of any way to disable the new UI, sorry.

Bring back the ability to go to the artist page and see all songs. It is a feature that was absolutely in the older versions of Spotify.  The screenshot attached to this post is from version 1.1.42.622, released for Macs on Oct 1, 2020 - you'll see the artist page where the songs within each album are displayed, and you can scroll down to see the entire canon of an artist at the song level. This is what I want back.

In the past moderators respond with the suggestion to submit an idea (which was the response I also received when I posted about this in the new beta here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/New-Desktop-Experience-your-feedback-wanted/m-p/513...

The request to be able to go to the artist page and see all songs is a feature that was absolutely in the older versions of Spotify.  This is not a new idea. This is a critique of the new UI and a repeated post to request the previous version's view.

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 11.27.27 PM.png

Hey @Dan,

When  will available the features the web player on the app desktop .

the app desktop doesn't evolved. There are doesn't changed in  app desktop.

When will available  the number of titles in the liked songs in app desktop.  

app desktop have need evolved

local file sync is broken... again

I don't know if it's because of the new desktop app or not but:

open spotify on desk and mobile, start syncing a playlist with files from your local files and they all end up not loading with an exclamation mark on the phone app. Both apps are up to date on Windwos/Android.

when playing from a different device, the desktop app doesnt track song progress properly and can't process playback of a different song. honestly scrap this whole frustrating ui. we as paying customers shouldnt be forced into being guinea pigs for your tests that make our listening experiences terrible. i'm genuinely thinking of moving to apple music

when you order tracks by artist, the tracks are jumbled within the album so the first track that lays may not be the first track of the album. how are you guys making a beta this absolutely terrible at basic things and forcing us to pay for it every month? this is unacceptable. i'm joining the apple music crew at this rate.

update: i noticed this only applies to double albums, but it's still absurd

Suggested posts