Announcements

New Desktop Experience - your feedback wanted!

dan
dan
Spotify

Hi Everyone

Dan here again from the Desktop team.  The latest version of the Desktop client (1.1.51) is rolling out now and contains a lot of changes, improvements and fixes.  Here’s a short highlight of some of the changes you may notice in the new version.

Playlist changes

• The ‘duplicate tracks’ dialog now correctly shows when multiple duplicate tracks are added to a playlist
  • It is now possible to select multiple tracks and drag to library or add to library from the context menu
  • Added keyboard interactions to playlist menu in the left sidebar
  • Added sorting dropdown to all playlist pages
  • Improved drag and drop performance on playlists
  • Fix playlist not being played in the sorted or filtered order when playing from the header play button

Others

• Improved display of shortcuts on the Home page
  • Added listening history stats to user profile page
  • Improved restoration of correct scroll locations when moving back/forth
  • Added ability to select offline storage location from settings
  • Added ability to navigate to followers and following pages from the profile header

One  additional setting that I've seen some feedback on but unfortunately didn't make it in time for this release was the ability to change proxy settings.  This should be ready for 1.1.52.As always, please do ensure you’re fully updated and are running the latest version. We again thank you for the feedback provided.

Thanks,

Dan

Re: New Desktop Experience - your feedback wanted!

Visitor

I've been using Spotify for a long time. Since 2009 I think. I have never been to this community before simply because I have never had a reason to. But in just 15 minutes of using this version. I knew I had to speak up.

I just have to say I really dislike the changes made in this update. A few of the concerns I've found within the first 15 minutes of using it:

1. If I jump back from an artist to a playlist I am no longer at the same place I was when I left it. This was a great feature for adding new songs to a playlist in the correct place.

2. The artists name under the song name is really screwing with my playlists (the feel of them) could there be an option to activate the use of artist as a column of its own? Just like with Album. I'm finding it hard to see what artist I am currently on in my playlists.

3. I can't seem to be able to drag and drop songs upwards in my playlist. It only works downwards.

4. Copy and paste functionality in playlists is gone.

And as I side note, I do not mind being a beta tester. But I would strongly advice you to ask people before enrolling them!

Edit: Had to add some more background to this.

Visitor

Hi there

So my desktop app changed a few days ago and something that I saw that was gone is in the right bottom the button to make my screen "full screen". I can't find it anywhere. Did they remove it? If so that would be very sad, I thought it was a nice layout. (just the album cover and titel)

If anyone finds it let me know pls! 

I have the desktop app for Windows 10 and a premium account btw.

Greetings!

Roadie

I don't like many things about this new update but most of them are already written in the forum so I'll only say this: Not being able to control the width of friend activity column and especially the left column is terrible. I personally really liked the big album cover on bottom left so I made it huge but now it only gets 'kind of' big.

Also there is the big problem of full screen mode disappearing. 

Can't restart first song in a playlist

Casual Listener

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Just getting used to the new update, I figure that complaining about unneccesarily oversized UI elements paired with unreadable text is a lost cause (I've seen much worse), so I wanted to share something that I assume is a bug

Previously it was possible to restart the currently playing song by pressing the 'Previous Track' button, but in the new update you cannot do this if the song is the first one in a playlist or album (the 'Previous Track' button is greyed out). Could this be changed back to allow restarting the first track? Having to navigate to the playlist and click the song again is quite inconvenient.

Terrible update. Loads of features removed, and I have no option to roll back? Seriously?
I can't resize album art like before.
It takes an extra click to search.
Songs take up half the screen with empty space in their rows.
My playlists don't remember what they are sorted by.
There's no 'about' tab to learn about artists.
There's no list of similar artists next to an artist.

Loads of these were features I used heavily. It's really hard to scan through your playlist for a song when you can see half as many songs as previously.

Can't resize sidebar in November update

Casual Listener

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi, I have some fairly long playlist names and I like to sometimes see all of these when I am managing my playlists. I also like to be able to see larger album art sometimes. However, the new update removed the ability to resize the sidebar, so I can't do either of these things anymore. I was wondering if it would be possible to get this functionality back?

Visitor
I quite dislike that the feature of resizing the sidebar is removed. Not only do some of my playlists have long names, but also when I resize the sidebar the cover art for the music will enlargen.

Design-wise, the updates is great. But the UX is a bit tricky, specially when going to playlists. It takes a loooot of time to load them, even the downloaded ones. The previous version allows you to go to playlists and see the songs even without internet connections.

It's also difficult to follow back users now since you need to access their profiles to know whether they have alread followed you or not. I hope you bring the followed/not-followed indicator back when I visit my own profile > followers. I'm a person who instantly follows new followers even when I don't kno them. I don't want to go to my new followers' profiles just to follow them back, specifically when I have a slow internet connection.

Lastly, there seems to be a bug on the friend activity. There are times that they are suck and won't show the latest updates anymore. I had to log out and log back in to see the latest songs they're listening. Before I only had to tick show friend activity option or, more conveniently, minimize the app so that it hides the friend activity are, maximize it again and it will show the updates instantly. Please please please work on this one! If possible bring the ability to hide the friend activity when the app's minimized.

This new UX makes me think that the people that wrote it don't actually use the desktop app regularly. It's pretty and this version is way snappier than the sluggish previous version, I will admit. But it's missing some really obvious stuff that I liked about the previous one and ones before it and I don't get it.

Being unable to browse album contents on the artist page is a huge whiff of a UX decision, the previous method was way more conducive to browsing a new artist. It's an extra click for no reason besides to discourage that sort of browsing. The playlist row height is also bigger than it needs to be, the album art being there is nice and all, but it's so much scrolling to browse a playlist. Being unable to sort playlists by artist is also a weird omission.

Lastly, I get that you're a streaming service first, but the steady march towards making the Local Files stuff useless is crazy. Just take it out if you don't want it there! Being unable to search my local songs by Artist makes the entire virtual playlist useless. I use the desktop version on a daily basis and it's just like, c'mon.

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16
Hey Yasmine, thank you very much for sharing your feedback here!

The folks over at Spotify are monitoring all replies in this thread very closely and use this to further shape this new experience. If you see any other points, be sure to share them here! 😄

Thanks again for sharing this, have a great day!
Hubo
HuboRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
SUGGESTED POSTS