Visitor

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia 

Operating System

Windows

My Question or Issue

Hey there. I am a spotify listener with a premium account who exclusively listens to playlists on shuffle. Because of my dissatisfaction with the shuffle algorithm (which likes to play nothing but generally the same songs, in fact I found that I did not hear one song I added until 6 months after adding it), I resorted to copying all the songs in my playlist and then pasting them into an online line shuffler, then pasting the shuffled playlist songs back into spotify into a new, empty playlist. This method still works for me for non-local files, however, I have one MAJOR gripe with this new spotify update.

Every now and then, I come across an artist only to find they are unavailable in my country (Australia). For example, Harvey Danger's album, Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone isn't available where I am, but it is available in America, and until the recent re-release, My Bloo.dy Valentine's discography wasn't available in my country either, only available in America as well. I understand this is because certain songs are only published in select countries, and thus cannot be supplied by spotify in countries where these songs are not published. An easy workaround for this problem is importing local files, which I have done for all the songs that I like that are not available in my country. The online line shuffling method I mentioned earlier worked fine with them too, as it would come up in the line shuffler as https://open.spotify.com/local///Harvey%20Danger%20-%20Flagpole%20Sitta/217 for example, and would thus paste into spotify, unlike pasting song sharing urls. However, as of the new update, I can no longer paste local files with ctrl-v. from one playlist to another. Yes, I have them toggled on and they are visible and playable in my main playlist. Yet, when I copy my whole playlist over to the line shuffler, or even just an empty playlist in spotify, none of the local files show up when I paste. I feel this is a very annoying issue as it renders manually shuffling online and then pasting the shuffled songs into a new spotify playlist obsolete, as well as making it more annoying to duplicate playlists.

Thanks.

13 Replies

Novy

Hey there @MrMooses

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

We hear you. We’re always looking for new ways to improve our users' experience, and we will continue to innovate the product experience.

You can also head here to find more information about the New Desktop Experience and share your feedback in the thread. 

If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to let us know. 

Cheers.

NovyModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

stepb128
Casual Listener

I also have the same issue as this user, and I'm on MacOS Catalina.

I've just received the new Spotify update, and when I copy and paste tracks between playlists, it's not including any local files from within the selected tracks. This is really frustrating for me! It's a bug with the new Spotify update, please fix it!

(I rely on copy and paste in Spotify because I like to combine and shuffle playlists in interesting ways. The copy and paste feature (allowing playlists to be modified using external tools) makes up for the lack of advanced playlist features in Spotify.)

stepb128
Casual Listener

I've found a workaround for those of us who want to shuffle the playlist order. This will work with local files in the playlist. Warning: This requires some Python programming, so it's only if you're feeling brave! I've pasted the code below.

You need to install the Spotipy python library, and then get credentials (just google 'spotify-tui' and then scroll down to the "Connecting to Spotify's API" section for a guide on how to get credentials), you need to replace the TODO text with credentials.

To use the script, just specify the playlist link as the first argument for this script. The script will print out its progress, because this can take a while to run for large playlists. I found that the Spotify client can take a little while to update after the script has run, I often need to re-select the playlist after a few seconds for Spotify to have updated with the fully shuffled playlist.

import random
import sys
import spotipy

from spotipy.oauth2 import SpotifyOAuth

sp = spotipy.Spotify(auth_manager=SpotifyOAuth(
    client_id='TODO',
    client_secret='TODO',
    redirect_uri='http://localhost:8888/callback',
    scope='playlist-modify-public,playlist-modify-private'))

playlist_id = sys.argv[1]

p_length = sp.playlist(playlist_id)['tracks']['total']
s_list = list(range(p_length))
random.shuffle(s_list)
for i in range(p_length):
    print(i/p_length, end='\r')
    source_i = s_list[i]
    target_i = i
    if source_i == target_i:
       continue

sp.playlist_reorder_items(playlist_id, source_i, target_i)
    for j in range(i+1, p_length):
       x = s_list[j]
       if x < source_i:
          s_list[j] = x+1

neskalo73
Casual Listener
I didn't realize that "shuffle" doesn't play all the songs on the list-- that explains my experience with it. To me, it seems ridiculous that a "shuffle" feature doesn't do that when we pay for premium!

Alex

Hey folks,

Thanks for your posts.

Currently it's not possible to copy-paste local files in playlists on the Desktop app. @Novy has suggested that you share your thoughts on this in the Feedback thread linked above, as the developers are doing their best to improve the user experience. Your feedback is important as it shows what features the real users use on a daily basis.

@neskalo73, This thread is discussing local files. If you have issues with the Shuffle function we'd recommend you create a new post with a title and info related specifically to that issue.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde

meadowcroftt
Gig Goer

Hi,

@Novy suggested that I offer feedback on the observation by @MrMooses that users can't copy/paste local tracks into playlists.  In the same thread, @Alex suggested that users really need to offer feedback to @Novy about this topic.  I guess I'm for the idea to copy/paste local tracks into playlists.  Jeez, did you really need me to provide feedback on this topic?  Isn't it obvious that when you took away the original desktop UI and gave us the lame mobile one in its place, that users expect the new UI to have all the functionality of the original desktop UI?  Do the spotify developers even like music?

Jeremy

Hi there @meadowcroftt,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

meadowcroftt
Gig Goer

I'm sorry you can call the ability to copy/paste local tracks into a playlist "a new idea", but I call it "a bug".  And you don't ask users for feedback on whether or not to "fix bugs".  The proper response is to fix the bug as soon as possible.  I've posted 10 bug reports in the comments section on the new UI discussion and so far 1 has been fixed.  Other than that, I like the new UI.  Although I am worried when other users say a web based UI simply cannot do some of the things the desktop UI could do.  That's a concern, but I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

neskalo73
Casual Listener

I agree- this seems like basic functionality we have had in other apps for many years.

brodytorma24
Casual Listener

I agree with everything you said.  I enjoyed the previous UI, as I got used to using it.  Being able to copy and paste songs into playlists was something I used on a daily basis almost.  A lot of my new songs that I add to playlists are remixes of songs that aren't on Spotify, so I have to get them through local files.  To add them to a playlist now I have to use the "add to playlist" option, which sends that new song all the way to the bottom of the list.  Then I have to scroll to the bottom and drag it to the top, which is annoying on my playlists that are 700+ songs.  I really hope they re-add the option to just copy/paste songs right into playlists. 

art5
Music Fan

Hi, I would like to add my vote to having this issue fixed.  Many of my playlists contain local files.  I always play a copy of a playlist, so that I can delete songs as I go, and also shuffle songs outside of Spotify.  This essentially makes local files totally inaccessible to the way I use Spotify.  This fix is very important to me.  Thanks.

brrbrrshrrprr

Removing the ability to copy/paste local files into a playlist is a HUGE slap in the face to those of us who have paid for Premium for years. This breaks functionality that represents about 95% of my Spotify usage.

I appreciate that you have to toe the company line, but I have a hard time believing this really was a development decision. It just reeks of a business decision made to discourage listening to any music outside of Spotify's streaming catalog.

Again, you removed functionality that is basis of what I pay you for. Connect those dots to figure out about how long I'll stay a customer if this isn't reinstated.

AJRogers25

Removing the ability to copy/paste local files into a playlist is a HUGE slap in the face to those of us who have paid for Premium for years. This breaks functionality that represents about 95% of my Spotify usage.

I appreciate that you have to toe the company line, but I have a hard time believing this really was a development decision. It just reeks of a business decision made to discourage listening to any music outside of Spotify's streaming catalog.

Again, you removed functionality that is basis of what I pay you for. Connect those dots to figure out about how long I'll stay a customer if this isn't reinstated. [2]

SUGGESTED POSTS