Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New update - SAVE option - is there a limit?

Solved!

New update - SAVE option - is there a limit?

Hello,

Is there a limit on the number of albums you can SAVE to YOUR MUSIC section? I'm only half way through saving albums from my old playlists and this feature stopped working... 

If I UNSAVE another album, i can SAVE a new one.

298 Replies

By the way, I'm not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread already, but the Starred playlist does not have a 10k track limit. A few days ago I could copy all my tracks from my converted Last.fm listening history to Starred which has 37.5k tracks now. So this would be an alternative to creating several playlists under 10k and move them to a new playlist folder if you like to play your complete library in shuffle mode. I could not directly copy & paste an Ivy search result larger than 10k from the browser clipboard to Starred though, but another Last.fm user with an old Spotify version (0.8.5) on MacOS could, so it's worth a try maybe.

Well, here we go again. The 10,000 track limit definitely does apply for downloads, i.e., favorites in the form of check marks (previously stars). I create new artist playlists almost daily and add new material to my playlists every day. As I'm listening on a certain day, I checkmark the songs I like for better overview and delete the ones I don't, knowing full well that the check marks will disappear by the next day or if I log out because I've already exceeded the limit. Also, when I click on Starred, I find only a fraction of my pre-update downloads since most of them were deleted in the April 2014 update.

I'm guessing that you were able to download 37K songs because you didn't mark them as favorites. Otherwise, consider yourself lucky. I repeat: there is no limit if you don't checkmark your playlist selections and leave them as pluses. There definitely is if you mark them as favorites. 

Google Music just increased their limit from 20,000 song that you can
upload of your own music to the cloud, that is not in Google 's catalog to
50,000. 30,000 more reasons to movie my money to Google.

That's what I did. My starred playlist is actually my saved music and vice versa. Doesn't work as well as if there wasn't a limit, but it's better than nothing.

Well I'm done waiting.  It's been six months since I posted my displeasure at the album limit and it hasn't changed.  For a second there I *thought* it changed.  I can save additional albums, and they show up immediately in my album browser.... until I close Spotify.  Then they're all gone... again.  If this was intentional, I'm furious.  It this was a mistake I'm just annoyed.

However there is still the exact same (inexplicable) cap in place, the reason has never been explained, and there are now good quality plugins for Google Music that will allow me to scrobble what I listen to to last.fm (I've been doing it for a decade, it's a deciding factor for me). 

As a developer if I was given a logical reason why this cap was in place I could potentially empathize, maybe even to the point that I  continue to wait.  But silence, in this case, is deadly and I feel disrespected.  I'm cancelling my Spotify subscription and moving over to GMusic. 

AZ Bishop, I'd like to know the reason why too. The closest answer I've been able to obtain is the fact that Favorites saved with a check mark are considered to be downloads, so the cap applies to check-marked items only. That would imply that every download is an increased burden on the servers' memory. Since you claim to be a developer, I'm sure you know more than most about these issues. My question to you is: in your expertise, would an unlimited number of music favorites from millions of users tax the servers to the point of overload? If so, my answer to that would be to have tiered subscription levels, where users who want to have unlimited favorites would pay more and thus finance investments in additional servers. In the meantime, I'm using a half-measure of deleting non-favorites in my playlists, which precludes a need to save favorites with a check mark and provides me with an unlimited number of archived plus-marked songs.

YouTube, Rdio, and Grooveshark don't seem to have a limit even though, for example, YouTube uses much more bandwidth for videos.

The reason for the limit was actually posted by a Spotify developer on the website Quora, but was deleted after people started complaining on here and linking to it.

Basically it boiled down to Spotify's decision to make their desktop application use a web-based front-end – It's not a 'native' app to the operating system (be that Mac, Windows etc).

The Spotify developer explained the technical issues with displaying and working with long lists – loading all items at once is difficult. But the way I see it, these issues are only there because of the web-based front-end.

Thank you, Timberford. By the way, has anyone besides myself noticed any slowness in the new desktop update version compared to the previous one?

Especially the silence from Spotify developers is incredibly stupid. 

As a total music addict, I need a large library. In it's current state, this is impossible. 
I might look into cancelling my subscription if we don't get some response from Spotify.

Last.fm: RockYourSocksxX
Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
• Brendan Gill

Rockyoursocks, you can have an unlimited Spotify library if you don't mark your favorites in your playlists. You can either keep all items from an album or, if you're more discriminating, you can delete those you don't like and be left with just favorites marked as pluses. I don't think you'll find any other streaming service of Spotify's magnitude that will allow you to check-mark an unlimited number of songs. A possible reason was explained by timberford a few posts before this one: most huge websites of this kind are switching to the web-based front-end model. 

biglarry, I have. It took almost ten minutes to load my starred playlist folder this morning. On top of that, the new queue window is full of empty, wasted space. I'm glad I haven't updated Spotify on my laptop yet. Hopefully I can wait until they get the bugs worked out of this update.

What's even more **bleep**ed up is that instead the program telling you have reached your limit, it continues to let you add artists but once you shut it down they disappear on restart with explanation. It's the same assholes who run Last.fm, if an artist has the same name on Last.fm they have to share the same profile, how **bleep**ing stupid is that? Remember we are dealing with a bunch of stuck up programmers who think they are changing the world and they think they better than everyone else and along with their constituents.

It seems I have the same problem: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Music-vanished-from-library-after-re...

Is there any update? Any plans to actually fix the underlying problem instead of suggesting crappy workarounds? (The funniest thing is that there is not even an error message or a notification.)

I would really like to manage my music library in Spotify. That means I want to add the albums I like to my library. Most of the time I want to add the whole discography of my favourite artists excluding live albums and remasters. That’s the only possibility to organize my music well (because you have the nice overview of all the artists and albums on mobile).

I’ve been two or three month on premium now and I already hit the limit. This is embarrassing. This is a show stopper and a reason to cancel my subscription.

I am a huge music freak and I hit his limit. I have been paying for spotify for about 3 months. I thought this was too good to be true. I guess I was right. Is google music similar? Is there no song limit there?

I am in the EXACT same boat. Been a spotify premium user for 3 months and I just hit the limit. I also get the discography minus live albums or remixes. I hear about google play. Im going to look into them. I was seriously having amazing dreams about spotify until this fateful day. So sad. Might cancel. If i use free spotify I can would stll have the same playlist anyway. My spotify will just become a music reference to songs I love so I can add the to future music libraries.

This thoroughly sucks. From a dev perspective it wouldn't be hard at all to make saved albums limitless. The guy from Rdio said that. You just don't see this as a problem worth tackling.

You're really shafting the true music fans here. I work at my college radio station and minor in music tech and music industry. I'm ALWAYS listening to music. My heart beats in 5/4. I bleed guitar polish. If it's not on vinyl, chances are I'm listening to it on Spotify, so to not be able to save more than the few hundred albums the limit sets is ridiculous. As someone who is constantly telling people (especially the new kids we hire at the station each semester) to download Spotify, it saddens me that we won't see a fix for this.

I cannot save any more albums so there must be a limit.

The thing about this limit for me is that I need an easy way to view an album in Spotify to see how many songs on the album I've "liked" (added to my best of playlist for the year the album was released).

In the past, the "starred" option worked well. I could quickly glance at an album and determine which songs I "liked".

Then the stars turned into checkmarks.

I checkmarked everything that was starred and hit my limit the first day.

Now there are some albums that have check marks and some that don't.

This is so frustrating!

I've been trying to save songs for a while and been confused about why they weren't saving.  After trying various methods I sat down last night and spent a couple of hours re-saving songs that had previously failed to save; each time checking to see that they had been added to my saved songs list.  Turned on my PC this morning and find they've gone again.

WHAT IS SO DIFFICULT ABOUT DISPLAYING AN ERROR MESSAGE EXPLAINING THE PROBLEM?

I'm utterly frustrated.  I came on here today to find out if I need to become a premium user in order to save more songs.  Instead I find out that it would make no difference.  I would be more than willing to pay for unlimited saves.  But the converse is also true.  If I cant save more tracks then I have almost no use for Spotify.

I am not young anymore.  I have more than 100k tracks on various formats which, over the years, I have painstaking stored onto harddisk.  I have been using Spotify because Spotify seems to be able to find the music I want much faster than my media player can.  Despite the fact that approximately only about 75% of my own collection is on Spotify I have still found Spotify to be a useful tool.  But this limit renders it almost useless.

When the devs say that this problem only affects a small minority of users they should consider which small minority it is affecting.  Is it the people who are the heaviest users or is it the people who use the service once a month so they can listen to the current chart-topper on a loop for fifteen minutes?

Suggested posts