Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New update - SAVE option - is there a limit?

Solved!

New update - SAVE option - is there a limit?

Hello,

Is there a limit on the number of albums you can SAVE to YOUR MUSIC section? I'm only half way through saving albums from my old playlists and this feature stopped working... 

If I UNSAVE another album, i can SAVE a new one.

298 Replies

Whatever happened to the utterly sensible people who made the old 'starred' list unlimited? Did they leave the company at some point?

I know several people who have 5.000+ records PHYSICAL vinyl collections. What's the point of having a virtual record collection if it only lets you save 800 albums?

@bartharms I'm pretty sure I saw a post the other day from one of the developers saying that the 10K song limit was not going to be increased but I can't put my finger on it right now. However it does look like we're going to be able to save albums independently of songs as posted here.

So no increase in Songs are they going to allow you to double click and play from all your albums?

I like to shuffle my entire library and be suprised by what i get. I understand i can make a playlist of all my tracks and play it? but is that really still true? If so whay limit the songs?  Spotify this is really silly.  /confused

There's always been a 10K tracks limit for playlists so I guess there's a connection. The only exception is the starred list which seems to have no limit. It's early days yet and once the dust settles, I'm sure they'll take everyone's feedback into account.

Yes, if you drop all your playlists and playlist folder into one new folder then selecting that new folder will show your entire library. You may have duplicates if you have a track in multiple playlists but you will be able to shuffle play the whole lot.

This limit is ridiculous and might end up being one of the reasons I move back to Rdio after switching BACK to Spotify less than a month ago!

This is a shame since I started to become frustrated with the speed of Rdio's apps and coming back to the new, incredibly zippy Spotify app was a breath of fresh air.

It would be awesome to remove this limit, so please consider it, Spotify, or you might lose a customer for the second time.

This is horrible! I just deleted a bunch of tracks from a random playlist that now I'll have to try to remember again.

CHANGE THIS NOW!

I want to consume more than 10,000 songs!!!!

After being a premium subscriber for about a year, I finally decided to invest some time in organizing Spotify. I wanted to run through my personal music collection and put everything that was available in playlists, and then import everything that wasn't available. After starting that project, the update came and suddenly there was a beautiful "My Music" feature. So I started over from the beginning and started "saving" all the albums in my personal collection as well as fleshing it out. (For example, I may have only 8 or 10 Elvis Costello albums, but Spotify has many more I don't have.)

I got as far as the "D"s before I ran out of room. Back to square one. (Or, possibly, back to see if Google Play has the bugs out yet.)

This is the biggest deal-breaker for me as well. Regardless of how they try to fix this this shows an underlying thought process of the Spotify developers that they dont care about the concerns of heavy music listeners/discoverers.

Why even move your songs from your starred playlist to the saved music? I actually came to this thread to discover WHY we need a "save" feature. That's what the star was. 

You can save albums now without the need for a playlist.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

When I originally started using Spotify, when I discovered an album I really liked, or a bunch of albums by the same artist, I would have to create a playlist witha  title like "Artist - Album" or just "Artist" if I wanted to go back and just play that one album or albums.

In contrast, when I switched to Rdio, I would create playlists the same way most of us create playlists: a bunch of different arts spanning multiple albums, etc etc., then I would add full albums that I enjoyed to my Collection for easy browsing and selection.

The Rdio method seemed the most logical to me since I'm paying for this service as an iTunes killer in terms of how I not only discover, but also store and manage all of my music.Playlists are great for gym workouts, road trips, whatever, but 80% of the time when I'm at home/work or commuting, I tend to put on an album that I'm really enjoying and let it play. This habit sort of goes back to my relationship with records, tapes and cds where I buy an album from an artist I really like and then play it through from top to bottom instead of making a lot of mixtapes or mix cds.

tl;dr

This new "Your Music" feature seemed to be Spotify's answer to Rdio's "Collection" and another step in making Spotify a true iTunes killer in terms of music management. The fact that "Your Music" has a track cap now renders this thought irrelevant. If you need more examples just see all of the previous complaints in this thread.

So my delivery driver comes in to pick up jobs for the night. I tell him the story about this 10000 song limit. His response Who needs 10000 songs? I laughed in his face. Is this the same type of person that works at spotify? Why the limit? What is going on here really? Any Spotify response?

Not defending Spotify, even I think 10,000 is too low but I do wonder how many user's will a) actually use your music and b) ever exceed that limit. I can't imagine it will be a huge % of users.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

You'd be surprised how quickly they add up. If your a fan of some artists, they have hundreds of tracks, some even 1,000.

Save Springsteen, Dylan, Stones, Counting Crows, and Tom Waits...there is 10% of your limit and that is five artists...limit playlists I am fine with but the library should be unlimited

if spotify are working on something it usually means they will remove it in a future upgrade more like

i have 12000 tracks in a single starred folder.  

i hear talk of new limits to 10 000 songs. 

what on earth is going on .

will i lose 2000 songs ?  straight after having  lost the ability to use stars.

Stupefy talk to your users ! 

considering jumping ship i am afraid. 

Just to clarify, I'm as upset as everyone else with this limit, but the star feature IS NOT gone!! You just have to use it like a standard playlist now. Dragging and dropping songs into the starred folder adds them to it.

Supposedly the playlist limit is to prevent bad performance on mobile, but I'm now able to Save albums on mobile but not on Desktop, as I'm at 9,999. So now the two playlists are out of sync, which is even worse than having the limit.

Also, not impressed with the lack of notification as to why Save seemingly randomly stopped working. I had no idea why it stopped and figured it was just the usual unpredictable Spotify performance issues and only figured out it was something else when it still hadn't fixed itself a few days later.

I agree with everyone else that 10,000 is a ridiculously low limit for saving. The whole thing I used starring for and now saving is to keep track of music I'd find and want to return to without having to think how to categorise it into playlists. I guess it's back to using Starred, as long as that doesn't now have a limit on it now that it's been downgraded to a regular playlist.

I've been reorganizing my Spotify around a library folder, with Artists-Album folders. Was waiting and waiting for this Your Music-Collection feature for a long time. I am not even out of the C's for my Artists, and I am at 18,000 tracks. Still a disappointed customer. If it wasn't for Metallica and Led Zeppelin, I would be using Rhapsody or Rdio full time. C'mon, Spotify. What is going on?

Suggested posts