Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New update - SAVE option - is there a limit?

Solved!

New update - SAVE option - is there a limit?

Hello,

Is there a limit on the number of albums you can SAVE to YOUR MUSIC section? I'm only half way through saving albums from my old playlists and this feature stopped working... 

If I UNSAVE another album, i can SAVE a new one.

298 Replies

Searched google to see if a limit existed because I just hit it. Better hurry up spotify, I just found out about youtube music key from the above post and wrote my email down to see if I get invited.

Apparently, serious archivists are out of luck on any streaming site right now since the largest download limit I've seen is 20,000 songs. Some people will wonder why anybody needs that many songs. To put things in perspective, my Tori Amos collection of albums only (including live bootlegs) contains just short of one thousand songs. Thus a comprehensive collection of 20 major artists that have been active for decades puts you close to twice the Spotify limit.

I don't understand why checkmarking a song as a favorite is considered a download, but if it really is an increased load on the system's servers' memory, Spotify and those other sites are missing an opportunity to offer graduated payment plans for above-the-limit collections.

My suggestion for those that want to mark and preserve their favorites indefinitely rather than be subjected to the whims of policy changes is to revert to an updated, computerized library card system. I do it in Evernote. I create a Notebook and use letters of the alphabet as Notes. If I want to preserve all the albums by R.E.M., I open the Note named "R" and type in the artist's name as the heading. Underneath the name, I list all the albums alphabetically. If I like all the songs on an album, I add "all" to the title. If there are songs I don't like, I add "np" (no play) and list all the titles in question. I find this to be the fastest system for me. It will allow you to have a lifetime archive of artists, albums, and favorites that you can use on any streaming site. Another option is to find an album online (Wikepedia, Allmusic etc.), copy and paste the song listings into a designated app of your choice, and plus/minus particular tunes. I find that to be more time-consuming and space-hogging than the system I'm using, but it probably looks better. I used to be a music radio host for 25 years, and this was the only way for me to have a time-saving, ready-made library of favorites to draw on when programing a show, but at that time, of course, my markings were on the CD's themselves. 

Tired of waiting. moved to google.

Update 0.9.15.27 seems to have finally taken away the 10k limit (at least when adding complete albums).  Does anyone know if there is a new limit?  If so I have not hit it yet.  Between this change,. ther new family plans, and the new Spotify connect update that lets me use my phone as a remote when streaming from my desktop version of Spotify I'm quite happy with Spotify again.

Hello: Can you confirm newely added album content beyond 10k stays after a log off and back on again, some users report doing a log off and back does not make the new albums stay added?

Well what do you know.  Spotify still hasn't fixed this ridiculous limitation.  But now instead of simply not adding the album it pretends its "Save" until you log out and log back in wherby you find nothing has been saved at all.

Why the heck makes such a big deal out of the new Save button if customers can easily hit a wall after just a couple hundred albums?  Come on Spotify... get it together.

To be honest I am looking forward to seeing if Your Music even survives into the new app, when more features start getting added back. Your Music has been such a disappoint for me, good thing I did not jump the gun and start deleting playlists first before all user reports where posted on about album and songs being added to Your Music. Since the last.fm scrobbling has been added back the rest should soon follow, at least what is going to be the core of the new app.

When is this new app coming? I mean, we've been promised great updates for months and nothing happens. Google Music works great.

Yes, Google Music does work great.  The only thing that Spotify does better is playlists.  I will continue to use the free version of Spotify for this reason, but I am unwilling to pay good money for a service with such ridiculous limitations.  Maybe one day if they get rid of the 10k song limit and make some MUCH needed improvements to their radio feature I will be back - unless Apple releases their new service and completely blows Spotify out of the water, which is a pretty good bet. 

Currently there is a beta version for windows users to try here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Welcome-to-the-Desktop-Beta/td-p/932803

Be warned it is stripped down, I believe for the purposes to rebuild the app from the ground up again to fix long over due issues, but that is  just my view. Each update adds back a little something everytime. Also some users running desktop app 0.9.15.27 are getting a somewhat same beta version rolled out for random testing purposes just has a slight different version number at the end of 1.0.0.800 something.

Have had nothing but great time with spotiy, but that is just me. No reason for me to move.

I had some great experiences using Spotify as well. But having a music library of +- 1500 artists just doesn't go well with the current limit of songs in 'my music'. 

Also, a better way to organise 'My Music' would be great. As it is now, it's just a drop down list. It's very painful to scroll and scroll and keep scrolling... 

Last.fm: RockYourSocksxX
Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
• Brendan Gill

"I've had a great time with Spotify..."

Well, I guess some people do like being jerked around and abused. It's called masochism, and most spotify users are not into it.

I just did some troubleshooting, misled by a promising post of today, stating that the 10,000 song limit may have been lifted. I was further encouraged when I saw that I was allowed to save additional albums, which I was prohibited from doing before. I also marked my favorites on those newly added albums. However, when I logged out and logged back in, the albums had stayed, but the favorites hadn't - they had reverted from check-marked to plus-signed. Can someone explain to me to what extent checkmarking favorites affects the server memory resources (if at all) and why Spotify doesn't institute a tiered payment regimen that would allow unlimited saving of favorites. That would be a win-win solution for everybody. 

So is the 10.000 song limit removed or is it still the same? 

Last.fm: RockYourSocksxX
Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
• Brendan Gill

@LucianTenebrae wrote:

To be honest I am looking forward to seeing if Your Music even survives into the new app, when more features start getting added back. Your Music has been such a disappoint for me, good thing I did not jump the gun and start deleting playlists first before all user reports where posted on about album and songs being added to Your Music. Since the last.fm scrobbling has been added back the rest should soon follow, at least what is going to be the core of the new app.

Do you not have Your Music in the beta now? Are you on 1.0.0.709.g17874b47 or later? I don't actually recall a beta version that didn't have YM. Just curious.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

The fun and games are proliferating by the minute. Most of my albums in the Albums folder are not showing SAVED but SAVE, meaning that you can click on that button to save them. However, if you're foolish enough to do so, all of your songs on that album will revert to favorites, and you will lose the valuable time spent in separating wheat from the chaff. 

@biglarry5 wrote:

The fun and games are proliferating by the minute. Most of my albums in the Albums folder are not showing SAVED but SAVE, meaning that you can click on that button to save them. However, if you're foolish enough to do so, all of your songs on that album will revert to favorites, and you will lose the valuable time spent in separating wheat from the chaff. 

This is how the save button is meant to work. There's not actually a system in place for separately favoriting tracks that you add to Your Music. The save button is simply adding all the tracks from an album so you don't have to click them one a time. You can always add favorites to your starred playlist. Maybe this will be improved in the future, but right now it sounds like it's working as designed.

It is odd that some of your albums aren't showing saved by the way. That part does seem to be some sort of glitch, but I just wanted to clear up any confusion over how the save and plus buttons are meant to behave.

dinomightSpotify Star

"Currently there is a beta version for windows users to try here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Welcome-to-the-Desktop-Beta/td-p/932803

Be warned it is stripped down, I believe for the purposes to rebuild the app from the ground up again to fix long over due issues, but that is  just my view. Each update adds back a little something everytime. Also some users running desktop app 0.9.15.27 are getting a somewhat same beta version rolled out for random testing purposes just has a slight different version number at the end of 1.0.0.800 something."

Lucien,

Why would I want to use a stripped-down beta version and add to the confusion when the regular version I'm using has continued to be stripped down of essential and/or useful features since April.

"This is how the save button is meant to work. There's not actually a system in place for separately favoriting tracks that you add to Your Music. The save button is simply adding all the tracks from an album so you don't have to click them one a time. You can always add favorites to your starred playlist. Maybe this will be improved in the future, but right now it sounds like it's working as designed."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This statement is less than accurate.

1. "There's not actually a system in place for separately favoriting tracks that you add to Your Music."

I use Spotify on a desktop. If you save an album in Albums and select it in Albums, it will show all the tunes with checkmarks. You can deselect the checkmarks of the songs you don't like, and those tune titles will disappear from view. However, if you click on View Full Album, the full title list will appear with checkmarked and plused items and it will stay unchanged as long as you are within the 10,000 item limit. 

2. "You can always add favorites to your starred playlist."

Well, yes, but not beyond the song limit. Also, even if you are within the limit, there's no telling when your favorites will disappear as a result of somebody's whim, error, or a system glitch, which already happened to me a few months ago. Before April, if you starred a song anywhere in the system, it was starred everywhere in the system - a perfect and elegant solution for all the users and uses. So, let me try to wrap my mind around this: Spotify had a version that satisfied most users and worked like a charm, but then they designed the one most users are not happy with, and now we hope to go back one day to the "improved" version we once had? Very smart! 

I also need to add this: there's no way one can justify the fact that some albums in Albums folder have SAVE and some SAVED next to them. The fact that they are in that folder implies that they have been saved and the system should automatically default it to SAVED.

Here's the latest wrinkle in the limit saga, which started with minimalist1969 saying that the limit may have been lifted. A few posts ago, I stated that the system accepted my newly added albums to the Albums folder and they stayed there after logging out and logging back in. Unfortunately, a few hours later, everything is back to normal, and those albums have disappeared again from Albums. 10,000 songs is still the magic number regardless of whether you save them individually or as albums. At least until recently, one was prevented from saving new albums if the system showed them as being over the limit. Now Spotify has canceled that useful feature, God knows why.

I would urge the forum participants not to spread unverified rumors about limits before being absolutely sure that the policies have changed. By doing that, you will not raise false hopes or waste other people's time.

Okay, let me see if I can clear this up better. Here is the way the system is built:

• Clicking the save button saves the full album, so that the view full album filter will work in the albums view.
  • Clicking the save button also should save all tracks from that album to the songs view, and there should be checkmarks next to the songs.
  • Clicking the plus button instead of the save button only saves the tracks you want from the album, and the full album will not be saved; however, the album will still show up in albums view if you are in the default filter. If you turn on view full albums, those partial albums will all disappear from your view.
  • The starred playlist does not have a limit. It's always been unlimited; however, Your Music does have a 10,000 limit, meaning you might have to keep separate collections for different purposes.

Now, here's where things get a little weird. I tried removing a song from a full album I saved, yet it still showed up with the full album filter applied. Not sure if that particular aspect is by design or a bug...it seems a little counterintuitive to me. But, hopefully, some of this does help.

dinomightSpotify Star

Suggested posts