No option to dislike songs on desktop

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

(LG V20, Windows 10 pc)

My Question or Issue

Why is there no Dislike or equivolent button on the desktop platform.... I dont want to have to take my phone out everytime i want to dislike a song. This is very anoying and im thinking about canceling my subscription......

PCPCMobileMobile

Top Answer
Alex
Spotify Legend

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

There is an active Idea about this. We recommend you go ahead and add your +Vote to it here. The more votes an idea gets, the more likely it is to be implemented in the app.

Here you can read more on how ideas work.

Hope this helps 🙂

Have a great day!

31 Replies

I don't get it!! Why removing the feature of disliking??? This doesn't make sense at all!!! Such a pain 😞

I'm not a big fan of the spotify app and desktop version but this is really sad...

agreed. completely ridiculous. there are just some songs I never want to hear again, should be able to set that.

Still no solution to this from Spotify. It's sad that you have to use a third party to get this option. 

Couldn't agree with you more! 

Spotify, you are idiots.  Like every other entertainment company of every variety, you are making nutty decisions that make NO SENSE WHATSOEVER to us regular folk.  We just want to make our own choices, that okay with you?

Dishyboar speaks for me.

Spotify intentionally supports fewer features and quality of life improvements on the web application in order to drive users to install the desktop or mobile application because users are able to block their data mining in the web application. The only purpose of this forum is to help them identify popular features so they can disable them. Support musicians directly and forget about Spotify forever. 

May be if you'll just skip a track Spotify "accept" it as a dislike?

Imagine creating a playlist for someone saying "I won't listen if you want to tell me you hate or dislike a song.  The best I can do is skip the song for now, but I am going to keep the song you hate in the playlist anyway.  So don't bother telling me you dislike it.  I only want to know if you like a song."  That is what you are doing.  It's one of the dumbest things I can think of doing.  And I'd fire someone on the spot if I was paying them.  (hint... hint...) 

It is ruining the platform.  Some songs bring up traumatic memories or very negative thoughts.  Music tends to do that.  I should be able to dislike or remove a song entirely.  And that INPUT should HELP you pick better songs. 

There are also some live versions and remixes that the Google voice assistant automatically picks instead of the original song (which is on Spotify).  Which is super annoying, especially when I ask google to search for a song that is "NO REMIX" and it immediately is followed by "Playing "Song" Remix Version on Spotify"  

Instead of spending time and effort removing useful features, work on something like that.  

StanLeeDE, maybe they do try to use the "skip" feature as a dislike button, it is the closest thing you have...

But that would be dumb, maybe I am skipping it because it isn't my current mood, or I am in a car with coworkers, kids, or Molly Mormon's who can't take one swear word without emotionally breaking down.  But otherwise it is a great song, I would listen to a dozen times by myself.  

Using the skip method as a dislike button puts "casual skips" in the same category as, NEVER PLAY THIS SONG AGAIN because "Holy f***, this is the worst song I have ever heard in my life." or "This is the same song my abusive ex played all the time.  It reminds me of the trauma and abuse he put me through.  And now I am in a terrible mood."...

Is really a good way to destroy a platform.  

It's important to dislike/remove songs we don't want to hear. First reason is that it will help your algorithm figure out which songs work for people based upon their tastes. Second is that you are now forcing people to hear things that they might not like. You used to have it that people could stop Spotify from recommending specific songs/bands in perpetuity. That was a nice touch when it was available. Please allow us to dislike things on all platforms.

Thank you.

The "This isn't a mistake, it's a feature" response is not valid. The ability to say "no" to things we don't want to hear is what we need. Please reconsider your answer.

The reason why we like Spotify is that we had better control over what we listened to versus other services. Spotify had also seemed to listen to people's concerns.

They don't.

Ok, so the "solution" is, that the option for us has been disabled. Wow, what a great solution. 

The thing is, that I will solve it in another way... by cancelling the subscription right now. I was trying to see if I'm happier with Spotify than YouTube Music, but that decides it. Bye bye Spotify Premium. 

Suggested posts