Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No sync between desktop and mobile app

No sync between desktop and mobile app

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hello, I've been experiencing an annoying issue for the last few days. It seems like the desktop app and the mobile app are not synced, when I play something from the desktop, my phone doesn't detect it and I can even play a different song from spotify mobile app at the same time. The weird thing is that the mobile app and the web app are synced, they work well, but the desktop app seems to be broken.
I try clearing cache, login out, messing with offline mode, reinstalling, rebooting the pc... Nothing worked so far.
I have the latest version of Spotify so I doubt the version could be an issue.

121 Replies

Hey @Natha76131,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

We understand you’ve already tried some troubleshooting steps including reinstalling. However, we’d like to suggest a clean reinstall in both devices as this is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any damaged file that might be causing trouble. 

We’d also recommend making sure both devices have the same account logged in.

If the issue persists, please include in your next response the Spotify version you’re currently running on your devices and the OS version of your phone.

Let us know how it goes. We’ll be on the lookout for your next response. 

JulianModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi,

I tried your solution but unfortunately it didn't solve the issue.

My phone's OS is Android 9 and the Spotify app version is 8.7.4.1056.

My laptop's OS is Windows 10 and the Spotify app version is 1.1.78.765.g5ea20b00.

I don't know if that information would help you but normally when you connect your Spotify account to Discord, you can play along with people. I used to do that. But now I can't play along, when I try it just opens Spotify desktop app but nothing happens. And Discord doesn't even detect when I'm using Spotify (because normally it displays what music you're listening too).

But like I said before that's only with the desktop app. When I use the web app everything is fine: phone can detect that I'm playing music on another device and even Discord is able to detect that I'm using Spotify. This really is strange.

Hey @Natha76131,

Thanks for the reply and the info you've provided.

Can you let us know if you're using any type of VPN or restricted network, like a school or company network. Those can block certain networking protocols, which Spotify requires in order to work and can cause such issues.

If that's not the case you can try removing any entries containing Spotify from your hosts file. Follow this Guide. We've had a few cases where users have reported that this fixed similar issues for them.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, I tried your solution with no success unfortunately, I have no spotify nor fastly domain in the host file.

I do use a specific internet configuration set up by the dormitories landlord but the thing is that everything has been working fine for months and suddenly I had this issue even though I didn't change anything. But I don't see why the web app would work and not the desktop app since they both access internet through the same network.

Hey @Natha76131,

Thanks for your reply. 

In this case, we suggest that you check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.

On another note, we'd recommend logging out and then logging back in two times in a row on your PC. It sounds a bit odd, but it forces a sync between the account and your device. 

Keep us in the loop.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi again,

I tried your solution but nothing worked. I even made a Windows update in case it would be the cause but nothing changed.

Hi @Natha76131,

Thank you for keeping in touch.

Could you run a clean reinstall with the steps shared by @Julian, but this time download the app directly from the Microsoft Store? 

Also, can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists? Alternatively, you can create a free account here, just make sure you're logged out of your own account before creating a new one.  

Let us know how this goes.

MafeGModerator

Hi,

I tried using the app from the Microsoft Store but it didn't fix anything and when I used the webapp it said: "download the desktop app" even tho I had it opened and play music.

Hey @Natha76131,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Just to double-check-are there any changes when you try logging in to another account on your PC?

Keep us in the loop.

Ver Moderator

Hi, I did try to login with another account but that didn't change anything unfortunately.

Hi @Natha76131,

Thanks for your reply.

Just to make sure, when you logged in with a different account, did it work as expected or did the issue persist?

On another note, we recommend trying with a different network, for example creating a hotspot on your phone and using that to check if it does the trick.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi, I am having the same issue as @Natha76131

I have tried everything listed above and on the internet and still nothing has worked, before i was in the same boat, for months it was working fine but up until like 5 weeks ago it hasnt worked. Im tired of trying to figure out the issue so for the past 2 weeks ive just not cared but i saw this thread and it amazed me how similar Natha76131's issue is.

Hey @vinethan,

Thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this.

It would be helpful to know more details about your situation:

• Your device OS version and Spotify Desktop app version.
  • Does the Web player work?
  • Are you using a company/ school computer or a company/ school network or VPN?

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator

spotify version: always most recent (Spotify for Windows 1.1.80.699.gc3dac750) currently
- web player works, phone works, those are both synced. but my computer is like its on another account even though its the same one.
- using custom built pc and on home network.

Hey @vinethan,

Thanks for the info.

This issue occurs most often on closed school or work configurations where certain networking protocols might be restricted. Since this is happening on your personal PC at home, we need to check if this is a network related issue.

If know a friend or family member that uses Spotify at their own place, when you have the opportunity, could you try logging in with your account on their PC and check if the synch issue still occurs. We know this is somewhat cumbersome, but we want to rule out any network / ISP issues.

Keep us in the loop.

AlexModerator

I have the exact same problem and it's really annoying://

Hey @michal420,

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

Could you let us know which troubleshooting steps you've already tried? That way we can avoid any repeating steps.

Also, we suggest that you follow the steps @Alex sent previously to check if the issue occurs there.

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator

I tried on my laptop just now and my phone and laptop are synced up and show status on discord. So it must be something to do with spotify on my computer, im not sure where the issue can be as i have logged out and clean installed both discord and spotify.

I have this exact same issue. Web player works totally fine, however desktop app does not work as intended

Screenshot 2022-03-12 00.24.22.png
Screenshot 2022-03-12 00.26.26.png

Suggested posts