Premium

Country

Bulgaria

Device

Asus Rog laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

So I've tried importing my local songs after a clean windows 10 install on my new laptop and NONE of them work. I've tried everything that was suggested on the forum:
1. Reinstalling the application completely

2. Deleting the playlist cache

3. Changing the source folder

4. Installing latest codec packs

5. Quicktime (although the files are mp3)
6. Ensured the songs have only English letters

7. Confirmed the files and the folder are not protected in any way

8. Ensured the Firewall has an exception for Spotify and there's no other antivirus software

9. Tried both the version from the Windows app store and the one that you download from the Spotify website

10. Tried older version of the app.

11. Tried disabling hardware acceleration.
One thing to note is that when I add the files to a playlist and sync them with my phone, they work on the phone, but not on the Desktop app.

As you can see, I used 1 example song and played it, however it stays on 0:00 and never starts. The song is a Soundcloud song made available to download by the artist so it wasn't obtained through conversion or any other non-legitimate way.

Please help me fix this because I don't know what else to try.

<snip - Moderator edit>

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello, it's been a while and I finally resolved the issue so I wanted to share what it was. The reason for the whole drama was because I had installed a Windows 10 N version, which is missing the Media Feature Pack. That thing for N versions of Windows 10 is available for download as an Optional Feature. To install the Media Feature Pack, you need to go to Settings > Apps > Apps and Features > Optional Features > Add a Feature and find the Media Feature Pack in the list of available Optional Features. Note, you will not be prompted to restart your computer, but you must restart in order to successfully complete installation of the Media Feature Pack.

After I did that, all the local files started working.

Hope it helps someone!

View solution in original post

24 Replies

Check the third method available here - https://geekdroids.com/spotify-local-files-not-showing/
It usually works and accept as solution/like if this is working. Thanks/

Unfortunately I've already tried that with no success

Hi @Vortemix

Thanks for getting in touch about this and sorry for the delayed reply. 

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

Also, take a look at the steps and recommendations you'll find in this Spotify Answer about Local Files. If you've already checked those steps and the issue still persists, could you let us know what exactly you've tried from there?

Keep us in the loop!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

When I reinstalled it, I did a clean one so unfortunately that's tried already. As for the other steps, I've pretty much tried all of them but none work. Please keep in mind the article is about issues syncing with the phone and I do not have issues listening to those same songs on my mobile phone through the sync . They do not play only on the desktop app.

Hey @Vortemix,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

Does the issue occur when you ty playing the songs through the desktop speakers or via Connect?

You can also send us a screenshot of the local files on your PC. We'll look into this further.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am listening through headphones. I'm attaching multiple screenshots, note that I'm using just 1 song for the sake of troubleshooting but the issue is present for any song I try.

1.png
2.png
3.png

Here are those as well

4.png
5.png

Hey @Vortemix,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

It's a good idea to try changing the sound output on desktop. You can also delete the cache from the local files with these steps.

Could you send us a screenshot of how the songs appear in the app? We'll look into this further.

Keep us posted! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

Thanks for the quick response! I've tried the local files cache thing before, but still tried again now, still nothing unfortunately. As for the song, you can see how it looks in the screenshot below. It's stuck on 0:00 and doesn't play. Tried different headphones as well as the laptop speakers

7.png

Hi @Vortemix,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We'd recommend trying the following:

• Add some songs from our catalogue to the playlist as well as the Local Files and make sure you have ‘Show unavailable songs in playlists’ turned on in Settings.

• Play some music on your phone to see if it shows via Connect on your computer.

• Make sure the router supports the Bonjour protocol. If the router is made after 2005, it will likely have this protocol. The best way to handle this is to check the router make/model and Google it.

Let us know how it goes. We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I'm afraid you've misunderstood me. The issue is that they are being played on the phone without any issue but am not able to play them on the desktop application itself. A local file from the laptop is not playing on the desktop application.

Hey @Vortemix

Thanks for your reply. 

If possible, could you try logging into your account using a different desktop device to see if the issue with your Local Files persists?

Keep us posted. We'll see what we can suggest.

NovyModerator

Hi, I've tried on my sister's laptop (Hp Pavilion 15) again with Windows 10 and all Windows updates installed, same issue. Tried with a different account to confirm if the issue was account-related but it persisted with a different account as well, on both devices. Is there some weird incompatibility between the latest version of Windows and it's updates? Because I had no issues prior to reinstalling my Windows but I hadn't updated it in a while as well.

Hi @Vortemix

Thanks for getting back to us and sending all this info. 

Just to confirm, have you already tried adding your Local Files to a regular playlist to see if you're able to play them on desktop?

Let us know how it goes. 

NovyModerator

Yes, unfortunately, when it gets to a local song it just stops on it and stays on 0:00 the same way it's stuck when I try to play it directly from the local files.

Hey @Vortemix,

Thanks for the reply and for going through this troubleshooting process with us.

Since you encounter the same issue on both yours and you sister's laptop, this might be related to your network. Some routers do not allow protocols which are vital for the successful upload of local files.

Can you try to create a mobile hotspot from a phone using your mobile data and connect your pc to it. After that try reuploading the songs which don't play.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Apologies for the delay in answering. I tried on a different network by removing the "local-files" file in %appdata% and re-adding the folder again, but same result. I am starting to think it's something between Win 10's latest version and the desktop app, I really don't know what else to try to play local files on my desktop 😄 

Hey there @Vortemix,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation. No worries 🙂

Another useful step in is to change the source folder of the local files on the pc. The steps are: Uninstall Spotify on both devices > create a new folder somewhere else on the pc and move the local files there > install Spotify again > remove any potential source folders and add the new one > download the playlist again.

Let us know how everything goes. We're always one reply away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

That I've already tried multiple times with different destinations, I'm afraid.

Suggested posts