Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Not all local files showing up - not finding albums maybe??

Solved!

Not all local files showing up - not finding albums maybe??

Hi - 

I have all my files located in one main folder under my iTunes folder and that is where I've directed Spotify to grab all my local files from. Unfortunatley, only some of my files are coming over to Spotify. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to what comes and what is missing. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I GOT IT! I FOUND THE SOLUTION!

Go to the folder your local files are located in, look for a file called "index.dat" and delete it. It's a file Spotify auto-generates when it's first opened after installation, and  it somehow gets corrupted each time you open Spotify. 

Then go to your Preferences, show advenced settings, and change the location of offline song storage to a folder where your local files are NOT located. I just created a folder called "Spotify" in my documents folder. Also make sure to set your display options to show unavailable songs in playlists. Then it'll show everything.

Apparently, Spotify defaults its offline storage to your local files folder, and that prevents you from listening to your local files through Spotify. I guess it's been overlooked as it hasn't been a problem in previous versions.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Same here. Sometimes it flat out refuses to detect my local files. Restarting the desktop app is a crapshoot, and if I try to open the file in Spotify from my music folder, it still does nothing. I don't have this issue on mobile, but I don't use my phone to chill to good music at my desk through my good headphones.

Okay, I uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify and now it's working fine now.

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/reinstallation-of-spotify/

It should work if you do it.

Hi, thanks for responding!

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me - in fact I now have about 300 less songs than before the re-install. But, I think I just realized what part of the issue is: iTunes sorts some songs as part of a compilation album and Spotify doesn't seem to recognize those for some bizarre reason.  Ugh.

But there are a lot of songs that aren't part of compilations that aren't showing up either. All total, it's several thousand songs that are missing.

My local files were gone as well (except for 2; i have 10 local files in total). After reinstalling everything seems to be fine again.

I have added my OneDrive music folder to Spotify where it usually picks up my local files. When it didn't work, I copied the files to my profile/Music folder by it would pick up those either.

EDIT: Actually, while the songs DO show up in the Local Files tab, Spotify doesn't  play them in the playlist anymore (This song is not available). Hope it gets fixed soon!

Never mind, reinstall was only a temporary fix. I've messaged Spotify tech support about it.

Marked as solution

I GOT IT! I FOUND THE SOLUTION!

Go to the folder your local files are located in, look for a file called "index.dat" and delete it. It's a file Spotify auto-generates when it's first opened after installation, and  it somehow gets corrupted each time you open Spotify. 

Then go to your Preferences, show advenced settings, and change the location of offline song storage to a folder where your local files are NOT located. I just created a folder called "Spotify" in my documents folder. Also make sure to set your display options to show unavailable songs in playlists. Then it'll show everything.

Apparently, Spotify defaults its offline storage to your local files folder, and that prevents you from listening to your local files through Spotify. I guess it's been overlooked as it hasn't been a problem in previous versions.

Hi WP - 

When you say "the folder your local files are located in" are you meaning under AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage or where my actual local music files are held on my computer (an iTunes folder)? There's not an index.dat file in my iTunes folder but there is one in the directory path above.

Thanks!

Yes. Delete the index.dat file in AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage and make sure you go into the advanced settings in your preferences so that your Spotify offline storage (music you download through Spotify) is in that folder, or any folder other than your iTunes folder. And also make sure you set your iTunes library as the location for your local files. To do this, go to the "Local Files" section under your user settings and click the button that says "Add a Source." Then just select the folder your iTunes library is in and you're good to go. The offline song storage folder should work the same way when you click the "Change Location" button.

Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately, that did not solve the issue. It is still not pulling all my songs. 

It knows where my songs are, it just won't pull any that are sorted into albums and I'm not about to remove songs from albums because that makes zero sense for normal use.

This is so frustrating!!

Go to the SpotifyCares Facebook page and message them, and give them EVERY detail.

Anyone find a solution for this yet. Seen so many posts on this but none of the answers have worked for me. Literally might go back to the old version of Spotify. 

-Mystik

Suggested posts