Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Odd recommendations...

Odd recommendations...

My [Discover  > Top Recommendations for You] list today is bizarre in that it seems to have mistaken me for a Colombian gaucho. I'm flattered but musically it's a big miss with nothing relevant to anything I've ever listend to. Very curious...

spotify.JPG
5 Replies

I have the same problem. All of my top recommendations are indonesian ballads and pop songs.

I'm from Germany and listen to rock, hip hop, blues, etc.

The recommendations don't have anything to do with my listening habits. I was never even confronted with Indonesian culture. Why do I get such random recommendations?

Screenshot_20180410-185601.png

My first guess was that my password had been hacked but I can't see and recent plays of anything that wasn't by me and my Discover Weekly and Daily Mix are unaffected. 

Still, I've just changed my password and it's probably a good idea for you to do the same, just in case 🙂 

In fact, I think this might explain it. Spotify data breach: https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/12/27/spotify-massive-data-breach/

One final update... it's unlikely it was a breach, in fact. Much more likely that I was using a password that was easy to brute-force (I was, oops) and that Spotify don't do much to prevent or mitigate brute-forcing.

Besides a possible hack in your account, just continue playing your favorite music and recommendations will change soon again.

And change your password, of course.

Suggested posts