Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

PC App won't launch, can't uninstall, reinstall doesn't help

Solved!

PC App won't launch, can't uninstall, reinstall doesn't help

I've been using Spotify for nearly five years, Premium for nearly as long. I've rarely encountered problems with the PC application, but right now, I can't even launch it, and I'm ready to cancel my service if I can't solve the problem. 

Several days ago, Spotify simply stopped responding when I tried to launch it. If I check Task Manager, it shows it as running. I tried shutting it down there and rebooting. Nothing. I tried reinstallilng. Nothing. So today, I tried to uninstall, but it won't respond to that, either--even when I go in and manually shut it down through Task Manager. I merely get "Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed." I left it alone all last night, and nothing changed. 

I am running Windows 8 on a fairly robust PC, and resources are not the issue. Nor is my account, as I'm able to use Spotify on my phone. Does anyone know what's wrong, and how to fix it? I'm very frustrated that a paid service does not appear to provide support, and like I said, won't wait long to jump to Google. The only thing stopping me, really, is the numerous playlists I've created over the years, and my kids' preference because of the same. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi.

Can you try a clean installation in safe mode? Here's how:

(Do it in safe mode so you don't have to try twice)

May differ a bit (I'm on windows 10)

Uninstall Spotify, if you can't uninstall try deleting the Spotify folder and the ones mentioned.

Go to "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage" and delete everything inside the folder.

Also delete the folder "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Users\<random numbers-user>\"

Delete the Spotify folders in "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming"
"C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local"

Reinstall.

Here's installer that should contain a full version of Spotify:
http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe

If it doesn't help try the same method in safe mode:
https://support.microsoft.com/sv-se/search?query=Safe%20mode%20windows
Add Windows version you use for information on how to enable safe mode.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi.

Can you try a clean installation in safe mode? Here's how:

(Do it in safe mode so you don't have to try twice)

May differ a bit (I'm on windows 10)

Uninstall Spotify, if you can't uninstall try deleting the Spotify folder and the ones mentioned.

Go to "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage" and delete everything inside the folder.

Also delete the folder "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Users\<random numbers-user>\"

Delete the Spotify folders in "C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming"
"C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local"

Reinstall.

Here's installer that should contain a full version of Spotify:
http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe

If it doesn't help try the same method in safe mode:
https://support.microsoft.com/sv-se/search?query=Safe%20mode%20windows
Add Windows version you use for information on how to enable safe mode.

Erik:

I should have thought to try Safe Mode, but still, it would not uninstall, even in Safe Mode. 

BUT, deleting the folders as suggested and reinstalling via the link you provided did. I'm listening on my desktop for the first time in days. 

Thank you so much for your detailed, prompt assistance. You're a rock star!

Scott

I have to be honnest with you. I was dealing with the same problem for now 5 days on my computer (i am a premium member for like 2 years now) and the only reason i didn't unsuscribed to the service was because spotify was still working perfectly on my phone. I was about tonight to send a request to the support but I decided to look at the forums because I was sure i couldn't be the only one facing this issue. And i found this topic with your solution, I tried to delete the folders you asked, and somehow (I'm clearly not an in the it stuff ^^) it worked. Than you so much for posting this and I am sure you've helped a large amount of people with this.

Clément

Thank you, this worked for me.

If like me you have trouble seeing your appdata folder, click on the "view" tab in your windows explorer window, and then click "show hidden folders". I spent a long time wondering where the heck it was!

I tried deleting everything from C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage but one file won't go titled index.dat, i keep getting a window that says it's open in Spotify. Everything else seems to be deleting alright but this one thing won't go and so i still can't reinstall. Help?

Hi @user-removed

Have you tried it in safe mode? When in safe mode the desktop doesn't start as many processes as in regular mode.

This solution also worked for me, thanks!

Worked for me too without even rebooting. Thx

I tried deleteing these files typing it in word for word.  Ive dont computer programming and such before so im sure i typed it in right.  It says that it cant delete the files because spotify is open but it isnt and i have the main application deleted.  Only the storage files etc remain but still, they are open or running and it still says that its opening.  When trying to skip deleting these files and just reinstall spotify again, it wouldnt let me because it says i already have spotify open and running and wont download.  But it isnt open or running.  Nothing on any of these forums has seemed to help yet.  When in safe mode, my computer isnt connected to the internet and wont let me delete the files.  

Try to press ctrl+alt+del and press "start task manager" then go to process tab then find spotifywebhelperthen end process then try to delete it again. (it worked for me i dont know to you)

After an extensive search with the same issues most others have had (inability to open or uninstall with Windows 10, trying to do so in Safe Mode, etc.) this was the only solution I could find that worked.  I really wish Spotify would come up with some 'clean up' capability that would either perform these functions automatically, or alter the program to make these steps unnecessary.  In any case, thank you very much for your solution, it worked like a charm!

Thank you, this worked for me.

Suggested posts