Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

PLEASE FINALLY ADDRESS THE HISTORY ISSUE!!!!

PLEASE FINALLY ADDRESS THE HISTORY ISSUE!!!!

Plan

Premium

Country
US

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue: Are you EVER going to fix the history issue that has been around for at least 4 years?

For YEARS now, users have complained about their listening history being empty on the Windows desktop app. One of the only times I've actually seen a moderator reply to this issue is this now closed topic from four months ago.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/I-have-NO-songs-in-my-listening-history/td-p/453162...

As you can see, the moderator simply suggested the same solutions that the user asking the question already said that they tried. In the last reply, when the user clearly told the moderator they had tried their last solution, the moderator never even bothered to reply again. Perhaps they replied to the user privately, but that's not a lot of help for everyone else reading the topic.

I have tried said solutions - logged into same account on both devices and made sure neither is in offline mode (in fact if I start playing music on my phone it shows up in the queue on the desktop app) as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the app. However, my history - which Spotify claims keeps the 50 last songs played - is STILL empty. I unfortunately did not get to mark a couple of the songs on my Discover Weekly playlist and there is no way to see those old playlists. I have intentionally avoided listening to music because I don't want to lose those songs when they are no longer in the past 50. I guess I'm just going to have to give up and I'm pretty annoyed about it. Could you not at least make the previous week's playlist be available for a few days after the new week? People have asked for this feature multiple times, as well. There were a couple songs that I loved and I don't know the artist or the song, so I just have to hope I hear them again, one day.
I have been using Spotify since it first came out and they've always seemed slow to fix issues with their apps. It's getting a bit tiresome.

9 Replies

Same problem here
Tried everything
Pls Spotify fix this

Hey @Metodo 

Persistently clean History sounds odd! I know the app wipes the History every time it updates, but I haven't encountered this. I would suggest clean Spotify reinstall  to see if that fixes anything.

If you want to preserve your listening history and avoid tracks slipping past your fingers, I recommend creating a last.fm account and linking it with Spotify. It's a pretty reliable system and even when it does lag, the listening data generally does not go missing.

Hope this helps 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Ha, so you do admit it's completely broken. For years.

Hey everyone,

Just jumping in here to add some extra info to what @Sebasty suggested.

If a clean reinstall didn't solve the issue, it's a good idea to also check your Windows hosts files for Spotify entries and remove any that you find. You can learn how to do this here, even though the article is for another issue.

It would also help us out a lot if you could log in to another desktop device with your account and let us know how the history gets displayed there.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

If your hosts file was changed, then you have a UAC security issue, as that requires elevation.

Plus that's not going to cause the history to fail.

This is a software BUG. Plain and simple.

Please, we need a fix for this problem, a history is a rather simple functionality for a company like Spotify, this is a bug and any other platform provides this.

Hey @kabuki_128,

Thanks for reaching on the Community!

The history tab was replaced with the tab Recently played, when you open your queue screen. Could we ask you what is the issue you experience regarding the feature? Also, knowing  the full specs of your device and the version of Spotify will be very useful to advise you better. 

We want to point out that listening histories are connected with the particular device, where the song was streamed, so they will not be synchronized across all your devices and if you have listened to something on mobile, it will not be displayed on your desktop app and vice versa.  

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

2022, STILL NOT FIXED !!

This problem just appaered for the 126161 time here! Tried everything.

Like all other buggs, they don't just give  F!

We pay, they get rich, we got a broken app. Service**bleep**! They even can't make a SHUFFLE ALL button ffs!!

2023. Still not fixed. Lost my history again.

Suggested posts