Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Play a single album from an artist page

Solved!

Play a single album from an artist page

Operating System

Windows 10 (I think the Android app is the same, and I assume it's the same on the web player and iPhone)

My Question or Issue

Note: I already have Autoplay disabled. The existing and desired behavior I describe below is only for when Autoplay is disabled.

When I click play on an album on an artist's page, I would like to hear just that album. What happens instead is that when the album finishes, the next album in the list starts playing.

My particular use case is that when I'm getting to know an artist with a large back-catalogue, I like to listen to their albums in the order they were released (skipping duplicates/re-releases), and I also like to clearly know when I've finished listening to one album and started the next.

But my specifics aside, stopping after the selected album is finished just seems like the most common intent when a user clicks the play button on an album. It's also the behavior you get if you click play on an album in the search results page, so this suggested change would make the UX more consistent.

Further, since an artist's album list is sorted in reverse order of release date and can't be sorted any other way, the current functionality seems quite a bit more niche than what I'm suggesting it should be. If a user wants to hear multiple albums in a row, they already have the ability to add it to their queue or a playlist.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @Xenia,

Thanks so much for suggesting the web player - it behaves exactly as I would like it to 🙂

Regarding your other comments about filtering artists' albums, this isn't a feature I requested in this post so I'm not sure I understand the relevance, sorry!

In the interests of keeping the UX consistent across platforms, it'd still be great to see the desktop apps behave the same way as the web player, so I've submitted this idea in case any other visitors to this thread would like to vote for it.

In the meantime, for me using the web player instead of the desktop app is an acceptable work-around, thanks again @Xenia!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Hello there @user-removed,

Thanks for posting about this in the Community!

Currently it's not possible to filter albums on the Artists page with the desktop client. We see how that'd be useful! though!

There's a relevant idea for what you're suggesting in the Idea Exchange here. Feel free to add your vote to it - it's the best way to provide your feedback for features such as this one.

If you'd like to suggest something different, however, you can always submit a new idea for it. The Community team is actively bringing your feedback to the internal teams at Spotify - check how here

In the meantime you might want to consider using our web player. There it will only play the selected album from the Artists page. 

Hope you'll find this info useful. Give us a shout if you have any other questions.

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

Hi @Xenia,

Thanks so much for suggesting the web player - it behaves exactly as I would like it to 🙂

Regarding your other comments about filtering artists' albums, this isn't a feature I requested in this post so I'm not sure I understand the relevance, sorry!

In the interests of keeping the UX consistent across platforms, it'd still be great to see the desktop apps behave the same way as the web player, so I've submitted this idea in case any other visitors to this thread would like to vote for it.

In the meantime, for me using the web player instead of the desktop app is an acceptable work-around, thanks again @Xenia!

Suggested posts