Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback issues (stuttering / crackling) on Windows desktop app

Playback issues (stuttering / crackling) on Windows desktop app

Hi,

I'm having troubles with playback on Windows desktop since a week or 2. It stutters every now and then. Sometimes it plays without problems for like 30 seconds, and then it starts again.

I read other posts with the same issue where the solution was to uninstall, restart pc and install again. However, that works but only temporarely. After a day or 2 it starts to come back for me. 

Please help!

Note that I have the same issue with Spotify web player. I have no issues with Youtube, VLC, WMP, whatsoever. So it seems related to spotify. 

17 Replies

Hey @masterbassie

Thanks for posting - we’re here to help!

If restarting the PC and a simple reinstall didn't help with this you might need to try a clean reinstall as well. This will remove any corrupted data from previous installations that could be causing the issue. 

In case you see no difference after the clean reinstall, check your hosts file for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that. It's also a good idea to check if the web player works as expected in a private/incognito window. This step makes sure you avoid issues with your browser's cache.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.  

I have an HP desktop PC. Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867)

I have Spotify on my PC, on my Phone and my Google Homes play it as well. 

I only have the stutter and crackling on my PC, not on my phone and not with my Googles.

I have removed and re-installed the app, no difference.

I have updated all the drivers for audio, no difference.

I removed the audio driver and then re-installed them fresh, no difference.

Hi there @Taz56

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Just to confirm, did you make sure to follow these steps when reinstalling the app? This will be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing issues. 

If this doesn't do the trick, could you give it a try using a different internet connection to see if you notice anything new? 

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@Novy, thanks for the reply.

I did follow those instructions yes, in full. However I downloaded it from the website not the store. I will complete these steps again and download it from the store.

As for an internet connection, I am on a PC, can't really get a different one, it is not portable. But I have a good connection, my Ping is 11 my Download is 800MB and my Upload is 100MB.

Just did it all again and this time I installed it form the store. On the very first song, stuttering..... 

Hey @Taz56

Thanks for this info. 

Could you let us know if this happens when you listen to your music directly through the computer speakers or if it also happens with headphones?

Also, could you send over the Spotify version you're currently running?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I am listening on a sound bar (speaker)

I thought it may have been the speaker itself so I returned it to the store and got a new one (even a different brand) same issue.

Version is 1.1.54.592.gc0b20638 (Microsoft Store version)

Hey @Taz56,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for the extra info.

Can you let us know if this behavior persists when using headphones or the PC's built-in speakers? This would help us narrow down the possible cause of the issue.

Also, try logging in to a different account, like a friend's or relative's on your PC and let us know if the issue persists. That way we can rule out if this is rather account-related.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Don't know about the original poster, but I am facing severe issues with spotify audio (crackles, stuttering)

I've checked various audio channels, same behavior in all of them (internal soundcard, bluetooth headset, usb sound card)

The issue is Microsoft Edge (Chromium) and I suspect this could be also present with other chromium browsers as well (Chrome etc)

So spotify plays fine, irrespective of which apps I am running in the background. The moment I open edge (chromium, the new edge), the stuttering starts, and is present ONLY in spotify!

I use windows 10 20H2 64bit. I have the spotify version from the windows store (and I see it has been updated to the new layout, so I have the latest one).

I am afraid, I am VERY afraid, that there is some sort of conflict issue between Chromium based browsers audio implementation (Like Microsoft Edge) and applications like spotify that use some part of the chromium framework, I believe.

But that could be just theory.

Dear Spotify, please fix this! It is starting to get very, VERY annoying...

Hello @drizo72,

Thanks for reaching out here and welcome to the Community!

There's another thread on a similar issue here containing some troubleshooting steps worth checking. Would you mind going through them, where applicable, and let us know if that makes a difference?

In case the issue persists, it'd be great if you could send over a screen recording showing how the app behaves with the browser open and closed, so we can take a closer look and see what we can suggest next. 

Thanks - Keep us posted.

XeniaModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I was able to solve the crackling / distortion playback issue in Spotify by disabling Audio Enhancements in the Properties tab of my default playback device (Speakers)

Try this:

- With the Start bar open type 'Change system Sounds'

- Once the Sound panel opens go to 'Playback'

- Then find the listed device with a green tick, this is your Default Device, or the one Windows will send sound to

- Click 'Properties' in the lower right

- With the Speaker (or whatever your device name is) opened go to the Advanced tab

- There is an area at the bottom called 'Signal Enhancements' with a tickbox called ' Enable audio enhancements'

- Disable this box if it is ticked

This might not be the solution for everyone but it definitely worked for me.

Good luck all, hope this helps.

For me it got solved by disabling "hardware acceleration" in spotify: Settings > File > Hardware Acceleration

This worked, thank you so much!

(a little sad that the actual staff barely helped lol)

Legend! 

I've been facing this problem for so long now, tried all the solutions provided by Spotify and other sites, but the solution was a simple as this.. Thanks, really glad I can finally listen to Spotify using the Windows app 🙂 

Oh my god I've been trying for a week and this solved it, thank you so much!!

What's seem to work for me is disabling hardware acceleration in Spotify as well as on the speaker device itself. For good measure I also disabled Signal Enhancements on the device in Windows too. Now only getting a few very brief stutters here and there 😒.  

A little extra info on this topic... 

https://www.howtogeek.com/783236/how-and-why-to-enable-hardware-acceleration-on-spotify/

I did not know the Spotify Windows app is actually a Chrome web app in disguise!
BTW, I have a new Dell Inspiron 16 2-in-1 with 32 GB RAM and nothing else running ! So it's not an "old PC" or over worked by any means.

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

hi. when i try to use spotify with a separate program playing audio (ableton, discord, firefox, etc) spotify and only spotify starts to crackle and stutter. i have tried updating my drivers and reinstalling spotify, but neither helped.

Suggested posts