Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist Sorting: Date Added descending

Playlist Sorting: Date Added descending

When I use spotify I like to sort my "To Check" playlist by Date Added descending, so that the most recently added music will always be at the top of the playlist. The new Windows app update has meant that it is no longer possible to sort playlists this way. You can sort them by Date Added ascending, but not descending. Are there any plans to fix this? I'm not a fan of having to scroll to the bottom of over a thousand songs to listen to the most recently added.

19 Replies

Hey there @NeoTokyo404! Yes, the date added sort defaults to ascending in the new desktop UI, but you can change it to descending by clicking on the "date added" text at the top of the column.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

There is no "date added" text at the top of a column.

I had to go searching on the subreddit to realise that the buggy new UI hides this column at a certain windowsize. When the app is maximised the Friend activity section becomes wider, so it hides the Date Added column. When you reduce the width of the app screen, the Friends section will minimise to the right and just show profile pictures. Then the Date Added column becomes visible. However, if you maximise the app again the column will disappear again.

Ah, yes that makes sense! I'm glad you were able to get the column header to show. Alternatively, if you ever need to hide the friend activity completely so more content will stay visible, you can do that from the view menu (three dots at the top left > view > uncheck friend activity). 

dinomightSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks Neo, had the same bug.
What a wonderful UI we have, what can I say more

Hi there @senkeiser,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I'm having the same issue on Spotify for my Mac Desktop. I can see in the list theres a 'Date Added' option at the bottom, which when I choose it only gives me the ascending order, but no other one to choose for my playlist music to be descending instead. I've added a screenshot to support this. On the Spotify App on my mobile though, there is an option for 'Recently Added', which puts my playlist in descending order. Why isn't there the same feature for desktop?
Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 1.18.55 pm.png

Hi there @naequinna,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

This is expected behavior.

We're constantly aiming to improve our features so we hope you’ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future.

The best way to provide your feedback would be in this thread.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Sorting Date Added is a total mess. It works like it is depending some mysterious unknown X. To avoid confusion I call the options: Custom, Down (arrow) and Up (arrow).   1: Playlist has full albums and then some hand picked songs to tease sorting and then some full albums. 99 tracks total. First click: (to change Custom -> Down) [why do I have to explain this ? You have to know your product..]  Nothing happens. The order is same as Custom! Second click (Down -> Up) and the tracks are sort of reversed by date (new on top) and full albums are reversed. If you now play from track 1, albums play in wrong order (.. 10  9  8  7 ..). Third click (Up -> Custom) is ok.         Case 2: The playlist has random tracks. First click (Custom -> Down) and.. playlist is NOW sorted some mysterious way with Album Name!!  Look now Case1...(first click)  Different activity!   There is limit somewhere where this behavior maybe ends.. 167 or something.  Click 2 (Down -> Up) and the playlist is sorted (maybe) by date newest to oldest.

But.. When sorting By Date.. you can't sort by Album Name, ever.

Also.. actions should be always.... always, the same.  Now this sorting By Date works really weird way. Sometimes it does always something, and sometimes it doesn't. 

Also... this testing crashes Spotify (when the memory issues are solved..) eventually and very easily.

Like Yoda has said: Do or do not. There is no try.

Spotify Version: 1.1.61.583.gad060c66-a

Win10.

Hi everyone. I've just updated my spotify on my desktop and it now has a decending option! You just press the 'Date Added' button twice so the arrow is pointing up (Decending, newest music at the top). I've attached a pic to show you guys what to look for. Hope this helps!
 Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 11.05.17 pm.png

Hey @naequinna

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

We're glad to hear that things are now working properly for you. If you have any questions we're always one post away. 

Cheers! 

I made a free tool so you can sort the custom order of your playlists by whichever field you like 🙂 https://www.playlistsorter.com/ 

Is there a similar way to sort on the Android and iOS apps? 

Hey @joshuajmlee,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

We recommend that you head over to this article to get more information regarding the sorting of a playlist.

We hope that the article is helpful 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

That is amazing! I didn't know this existed!

That's somewhat helpful. I didn't know how to get that sort to appear by dragging the screen down. However, it's only partially helpful. When I sort a playlist, Android auto doesn't reflect that sorted list. How can I sort playlists on Android Auto? It's annoying trying to tap the down button to get to the bottom of a playlist with hundreds of songs since it locks the screen for a couple seconds every 6 touches, and using my phone screen to pick songs defeats the purpose of Android Auto and is arguably less safe (and illegal in some/most areas in the US as far as I know). 

Hi @joshuajmlee,

Thank you for keeping in touch.

We're glad to know you were able to sort your music on the mobile app. About Android Auto, currently there isn't a feature that allows you to do the same. 

However, we recommend having a look at this Idea suggesting the implementation of sorting options on Android Auto.

You can support the idea by adding your +VOTE , that'll make sure you stay up-to-date with any relevant updates about this. It’s also worth knowing that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented. 

Let us know if you have any questions.  

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

That feature isn't exactly the same thing though. Should I submit a new
suggestion?

Android Automotive isn't the same as Android Auto to my knowledge - Android
Automotive runs on the head unit in the vehicle without needing an android
phone connected, while Android Auto runs on the head unit only when you
connect an Android phone.

Hi @joshuajmlee,

Thank you for your reply and thank you for pointing that out.

Apologies for the confusion! I edited the link on my previous post. Just in case, here is an idea that suggests the same on Android Auto. 

Take into account that the "Closed" status doesn't mean the idea won't be implemented. If it reaches the necessary amount of votes, Spotify will consider it. 

Cheers.

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts