Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist cover image not showing up on playlists with mostly local files

Solved!

Playlist cover image not showing up on playlists with mostly local files

Woops, pretty long title!
Anyway, It's exactly as the title say's, I've got two playlists that have mostly (and one even only) local files in them.
I've made sure that the mp3 files of the songs all got a cover art. This does not change any thing tough. Still this lonly music note
Forever Alone Music Note
Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks,

Ruben

Also secretly this problem is not just the desktop app but spotify wide!
And also, even more secretly, the web player shows some songs that are both local and on spotify unplayable even though they shouldn't

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The Spotify client will display cover artwork for local files when they are playing, but the playlist covers are generated Spotify side (rather than in the client) so it won't be able to create the cover unless the first 4 tracks are in the Spotify catalogue where it can access the covers.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey @RME  and welcome to the community!

Spotiy is aware of this bug and is currently investigating into it (see here). Please be a little more patient and sorry for any inconveniences.

EDIT: Sorry, just read by now that you're talking about the desktop app.. #shameonme. I think cover images of local files won't be synced so there are no covers to display.

Playlist covers are made up of the first 4 tracks in a playlist. The playist cover does not support album art from local files. I'm guessing the first 4 songs in your playlist are local files. That's probably why.

Spotify support the display of album art from local files, but not when it comes to the playlist cover.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

What do you mean with

@Carina wrote:

I think cover images of local files won't be synced so there are no covers to display.

Because here is an example of me playing a local file:
Playing Taking Over

As you can see, it is a local file. And the cover image is loaded in perfectly!

Marked as solution

The Spotify client will display cover artwork for local files when they are playing, but the playlist covers are generated Spotify side (rather than in the client) so it won't be able to create the cover unless the first 4 tracks are in the Spotify catalogue where it can access the covers.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

It's been almost a year now and this is still a problem...

Suggested posts