Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlists appear empty on desktop app

Solved!

Playlists appear empty on desktop app

Plan

Free/Premium

Device

HP Pavilion Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify won't play any music in the app or in the web player. All of my playlists, favourite songs, and everybody else's playlists all show no songs. This is extremely frustrating. I was just thinking about upgrading to premium and now I can't play or listen to anything! I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and everything related, and it never works. There must be a problem with my account. This is extremely frustrating! Please help me fix this.

I've attached a screenshot of what spotify looks like when I click the play button on a playlist from another page. When I open a playlist, it just tells me it's empty.

Screenshot (4).png
179 Replies

@Smexyskeletor wrote:

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!

It even got my friend's activity tab working, that's been dead for months!

I recommend checking your hosts file for any Spotify-related entries.
The file is capable of redirecting traffic for addresses it contains, so it can break Spotify app when it contains Spotify addresses.

It's easy to check and edit, you'll need admin rights:

1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com
0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net 

(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.

OH MY GOD, YOU'RE A LIFESAVER! Thank you so much man

I have the exact same problem except I am using Spotify on a Macbook. It stopped letting me listen to new songs so I did a clean reinstall and now it is saying that all my playlists are empty and I cannot listen to anything. No solution mentioned has worked. Weirdly, in my friends playlist it shows the songs they have put on their playlist from offline (i.e. uploaded from their computer), but no other songs...

Hi guys,

I have the same issue, spotify macbook didn't load any songs,

the playlist i used to play is empty, and i cant even play the any song, i've tried to play it on my phone first and then play it on my macbook,  and nothing is working until now, the song stops right at the moment i switch it to macbook. I've reinstalled it for 3 times, deleted all the caches, turned of the hardware acceleration, update it to the latest High Sierra, and nothing happens. What should i do? Is it some kind of bug or server's fault?

Have the same problem tried everything but still all playlist are emty cant play any songs

Got the same problem from about a week ago 

It worked for me !!! Thx a lot man !

@Smexyskeletor wrote:

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!

The file is capable of redirecting traffic for addresses it contains, so it can break Spotify app when it contains Spotify addresses.

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.

I have the same problem, i already re-install de app, from de website and microsoft store, and nothing, all my playlist are empty, i can´t play any song at all, please fix it soon as posible. Thanks.

I have the same problem, at first it was just new songs that just didnt play, it would light up but show a black placeholder and just not play. I reinstalled the program and now all playlists are completly empty (they are still on my phone) no songs are anywhere and nothing can play. windows is fully updated.

Same problem with the desktop mac application. Can't play ANYTHING. All of the content seems gone or missing, wether I look at my own playlists or at other playlists they all shows up empty. If I try to searsh for a song to play, it dosen't work either. Uninstalling or emptying the cache does nothing at all. It works fine on my phone tho ... huh.

not sure what happened but yesterday i had this issue, today its gone... 

thnks! i guess

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the info you've provided so far. The right teams are still looking into this.

In the meantime, try the following:

• Log out > Restart desktop > Log back in
  • Reinstall app from the website/from Windows Store (depending on device).

After that, remove all lines from their hosts file that are blocking Spotify.

1. If you're on Windows:
    1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
    2. Go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
    3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
    4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
    5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
    6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
    7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.
  2. If you're on a Mac:
    1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
    2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop. 
    3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit.
    4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
    5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, remove them.
    6. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

If it didn't help, let us know and make sure to add a +Vote and let us know when this started, and a timestamp of the last time you saw the issue. We'll keep you updated here. 

Thanks!

I have tried everything from the host files to reinstalling and logging out and restarting my desktop, nothing at all has worked. This is pretty frustrating.

I removed the Spotify handle from the host file and it fixed the problem for me, I had a some trouble removing the Spotify adress from the host file but I copied it to my desktop, changed it there and moved it back to system32/drivers/etc folder, and everything was working again after restarting Spotify.

It's because of the hack program to hide adds. Disable that and it's gonna work. 

Finally i fix it manually, following de steps and using de Notepad, im happy again.

Thanks a lot.

Thank you. Following using notepad to remove the spotify line from the hosts file fixed it. To anyone having problems with administrator permissions when editing the file, copy the file onto desktop, edit it there and drag it back in to replace the original. That was what worked for me

Hey guys. I’m on premium on an iPhone 8 Plus. I’ve been having this same issue since Tuesday, but it’s not on my desktop, it’s on my phone. I have another iPhone in which Spotify works perfectly and it works perfectly on my laptop as well. The issue is my phone, which is what I mostly use to listen to my music. All my playlists are empty, so is all my music. I’ve reinstalled the app many times, logged in and out, I even restored my phone to factory settings and nothing. I haven’t found a solution to this on iPhone, so if anyone’s having a similar issue, please, do let me know. 

I don't have a host file or an etc file for that matter

@Smexyskeletor wrote:

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Nevermind, I fixed it. Apparently show hidden folders was disabled for some reason.

The notepad thing didn't work for me. It doesn't let me save it even though I opened as administrator.

Browser version also doesn't work; can't play any songs but my saved songs at least show up. Only mobile app will play any music. feels like an elaborate ruse to force me to buy premium.

Suggested posts