Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlists appear empty on desktop app

Solved!

Playlists appear empty on desktop app

Plan

Free/Premium

Device

HP Pavilion Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify won't play any music in the app or in the web player. All of my playlists, favourite songs, and everybody else's playlists all show no songs. This is extremely frustrating. I was just thinking about upgrading to premium and now I can't play or listen to anything! I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and everything related, and it never works. There must be a problem with my account. This is extremely frustrating! Please help me fix this.

I've attached a screenshot of what spotify looks like when I click the play button on a playlist from another page. When I open a playlist, it just tells me it's empty.

Screenshot (4).png
179 Replies

Hey everyone, 

Thanks for the info you've provided so far. There's a new Spotify version out right now, so for those that are still experiencing this, make sure to reinstall once more to ensure you have the latest version, and let us know how it goes. Make sure to include the Spotify version.

Thanks!

I have never used Spotify on my laptop or desktop once and my entire "artists" tab has disappeared.  Made my own post and was directed here.  Installed Spotify app on my Windows 10 with zero artists available to play.  My playlists and Songs still exist...but haven't had artists show up in my "artist" tab in over a month.  Also realizing there is no email or phone support is pretty crazy for Spotify.  Anyways...help please!

@Jemi  

Spotify started acting up just days ago. I have downloaded the latest version, tried every suggestion in the thread, could not find spotify lines in 'hosts' - playlists still empty. I get an error message trying the recover playlist option on the account too. Laptop is on Windows 8.1, android phone.  😞

So for whoever comes about this thread:

If you tried the hosts file edit and did not find anything of spotify in there or it did not work for you either.

Logout from spotify go to whatever service you used to login to spotify: eg facebook.

On facebook profile page look for the main contact email and use this to reset the password on the spotify login page.

There will be a seemingly new account with some numbers as a username but your favorites are there.

Hope it helps, maybe with google logins too if there are any issues with that.

It looks like it happens when the accountname on facebook is taken already in spotify it creates a new one on first time log-ing into spotify. So something was chagend in the spotify-facebook account handling api recently where account details are taken but not the most important stuff people are acctually on spotify for.

Spotify messed up login process with account beeing registred through facebook again. There is a thread with 50 pages from 2014 and 16 pages from 2017. Only **** people make same mistakes again.

You spotify should give people free premium vouchers as retribution for the headache and the lost lifetime

Still get these issues every time I restart my computer, but I can resolve it by deleting c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Spotify. But I have to do this EVERY TIME.

Marked as solution

Hey everyone,

Thank you for the reports you've provided so far. The right team has concluded that for the most part this is due to individual network configurations, or modifications by third party apps. For Spotify to work properly, we suggest that you reset any network configurations to default, and disable any third party apps that may interfere with Spotify.

If that doesn't work, we suggest that you create a new post on the boards and we'll help you out from there. Thanks!

Sorry, in wich sense "reset any network configurations to default"?

I've been having problems with the Windows Player for about a month now, and I've reset my network settings, removed all 3rd party which was only one that I downloaded more than 2 years ago but to no avail, still didn't work. Any other solutions to this problem?  P.S. The Web Player shows all of my songs and so does my phone, and Windows is the only one acting up.

Several of my playlists are empty or partly empty (e.g. release radar, discover weekly, new music friday) and sometimes I cannot play a track. I tried every solution that was proposed in this thread, but none of them have worked. The problem exists since I downloaded the newest version of Spotify on my MacBook approximately 3 weeks ago. Can anyone assist? Thanks in advance.

Solution, it worked for me:

Go to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and delete the Hosts file. Then restart Spotify.

This worked! Thank you!

Thanks so much, Dreamzy16 you are the best!

I managed to get artists to appear by 'Following' an artist then it appeared (in Artists tab) and underneath 'Recommended artists' appeared (in random order unfortunatly). On a chat with Spotify the operator said it was news to Spotify and said 'I'll surely let our tech team know about this.'. However there are Idea Sumissions created in relation to this e.g. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Fix-or-roll-back-so-we-don-t-have-to-follow-every-...

THANK YOU, this fixed ALL my issues (missing music, won't play music, etc.)  I even got an email from Spotify congratulating me on being a member for five years.  It seems to have "unstuck" a lot of things that were blocked up.

"individual network configurations"

"modicfications by thrid party apps"

Can you give some specific examples?

i tried altering the system32 hosts file but when trying to save an error message appears telling me that i cant edit system 32 files unless i have administrator privelliges, i am an administrator, what have i done wrong?

For me, I had to empty my host file, which prevented connections that Spotify was attempting to use. To fix, go to notepad and run it as admin, go to your main hardrive, go to Windows->System32->drivers->etc->hosts. If this directory is empty, make sure you have the type of file filter set to All Files (*.*). From this document, make sure you don't have any connections that are being blocked that might prevent Spotify from refreshing for fetching information. 

read my reply to get admin privileges

Dreamzy16 says:

"Solution, it worked for me:

Go to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and delete the Hosts file. Then restart Spotify."

I emptied out my Hosts file previously but it didn't help.  I wouldn't think removing it entirely would be the fix but it worked so thank you so much!   I also just renamed it rather than delete it just in case.

Spotify team - this should be looked at because there's no reason a Host file with no entries should **bleep** up your program.

This one worked! Thank you

Suggested posts