Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlists appear empty on desktop app

Solved!

Playlists appear empty on desktop app

Plan

Free/Premium

Device

HP Pavilion Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify won't play any music in the app or in the web player. All of my playlists, favourite songs, and everybody else's playlists all show no songs. This is extremely frustrating. I was just thinking about upgrading to premium and now I can't play or listen to anything! I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and everything related, and it never works. There must be a problem with my account. This is extremely frustrating! Please help me fix this.

I've attached a screenshot of what spotify looks like when I click the play button on a playlist from another page. When I open a playlist, it just tells me it's empty.

Screenshot (4).png
179 Replies
Marked as solution

I had the same problem for the last year. Even corresponding with Spotify support was no help. I could see music in playlists on my other devices but not on this one Windows 10 computer. This is where I just found the solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34s81vMF3CQ

Basically, I just went to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and deleted the "host" file. That immediately fixed my problem. The host file is not required for windows to work: https://www.quora.com/What-happens-if-I-delete-my-host-file-on-my-computer-Do-I-need-it-Can-I-get-it...

So glad to have finally found a solution! Hope this helps others.

This is the solution! ty

Wow...it seems like the only tech support training Spotify can provide their tech support team is :

Step 1: Resintall

Step 2: Reset network configurations (with no details on exactly which network settings could impact the connectivity issue)

Step 3: Make a new thread if this doesn't resolve issue so another moderator can tell you to repeat Steps 1 and 2. 

So glad I didn't pull the trigger on premium. 

Note: See 'Solution' to this thread.

That did the trick. now how do I get all the hair I pulled out getting this fixed back on my head?

Can confirm this worked for me, thanks. This has been pissing me off for the past couple of days.

Hosts file must be like this!!!

Untitled2.png

Thanks.  Managed to find same info online...problem solved.

yo DUDE THIS ACTUALLY WORKED, thank you so much ive been trying to fix this thing for ages!

THIS WORKED! 😄 Thank you, you absolute saint

Helped me! Would never have found this if it wasnt for you, thanks! Reinstalling and all other official steps obviously didn't work.

thats**bleep**, deleting the host it what worked for me C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\

Hey there @nuritiki,

Thanks for letting us know what worked for you! 

Feel free to mark the response that help you as a Solution so other users who come across this thread find the answer they're looking for quicker. 

Let us know if there's anything else Spotify-related we you could use a helping hand with 🙂

Have a good day!

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

worked tnx!

really sad nothing has still been done about this, starting to regret switching over from apple music. Thank god for the actual helpful users who had a fix for this problem, much appreciated 

It goes bad. Same issue, nine months after. Seems to me you're not working hard enough. Regards.

thanks a lot!! its worked

This solution worked. I got all the songs of my playlists. Thank you so much!

Thank you this worked!

This solved it, no clue why spotify was showing in here.... Was working before Spotify Software update... 0.0.0.0 spclient.wg.spotify.com removed that and works.

thank you so muchh!!!!!! it helped immediately

Suggested posts