Playlists appear empty on desktop app

Plan

Free/Premium

Device

HP Pavilion Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify won't play any music in the app or in the web player. All of my playlists, favourite songs, and everybody else's playlists all show no songs. This is extremely frustrating. I was just thinking about upgrading to premium and now I can't play or listen to anything! I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and everything related, and it never works. There must be a problem with my account. This is extremely frustrating! Please help me fix this.

I've attached a screenshot of what spotify looks like when I click the play button on a playlist from another page. When I open a playlist, it just tells me it's empty.

Screenshot (4).png
179 Replies

i have the exact same problem. I've reinstalled multiple times. its using the app and chrome, none of them work. i've reinstalled from windows store and from the website. some songs didnt work, reinstalled, now nothing works

This still has not fixed it, nor on the program itself.

Did you find any fix at all with the problem?

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reporting this! The right teams are now looking into this.

If you are experiencing this issue, could you first try the following:

• Log out > Restart desktop > Log back in
  • Reinstall app from the website
  • Reinstall app from Windows Store

If none of the above works, please add your vote (+VOTE) to this thread.

We will keep you updated on this.

Have a good day!

Can it be because of my ezblocker?

Probably yes, @KMOX4. Try disabling it and let us know if it helps.

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Same issue. Have tried every troubleshooting step in this thread, same steps recommended by @SpotifyCares in DM on twitter. Playlists appear normal and music streams just fine on my iPhone app and my Mac desktop program, but the program on Windows 10 on this computer is so broken. Playlists are empty, and NO SONG anywhere on Spotify will play at all.

Incredibly frustrating...especially since there is so little support, and no hope of any compensation for being unable to use the service.

I do believe I found the solution to the problem. I was having the exact same issue, all of my saved songs were gone from both playlists I had made and playlists made by Spotify, as if all the music in the world had disapeared.

Here is what I did to fix the problem, as my Spotify works perfectly fine now:

1. Press the windows key and type in spotify (or you could probably just find it on your desktop - if so skip to step 3)

2. Right click on OPEN FILE LOCATION

3. RIGHT-click on the program and left click on PROPERTIES

4. A tab should open up titled SPOTIFY PROPERTIES, with six subtabs labled SECURITY, GENERAL, DETAILS and etc.

5. Select the COMPATIBILITY tab and highlighted in blue is a button labled RUN COMPATABILITY TROUBLESHOOTER.

6. The troubleshooter should run you through the rest!

Again, what this looks like:

Spotify.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Run Compatibility Troubleshooter

Hope this works for y'all like it helped me!

Hey @HeckMyFrick, thanks a lot for sharing this!

I'm sure this will help the other users here 🙂

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I had the same problem. The solution for me was is in the hosts file. Search in google how a hosts file should look like copy it and go to your hosts file on your computer, open it with i prefere notepad++ delete whats in there and paste what you copy. I hope it works for out too.

@August20 wrote:

I had the same problem. The solution for me was is in the hosts file. Search in google how a hosts file should look like copy it and go to your hosts file on your computer, open it with i prefere notepad++ delete whats in there and paste what you copy. I hope it works for out too.

This is the fix for me, works like a charm! Thank you so much sir.

I'm going through the very same problem. It's very frustrating to see how slow Spotify is dealing with this. 

Btw, none of the "solutions" provided worked. 

So I had this exact same issue and all I had to do was go into my hosts files and add a # in front of any line that had the word "spoitfy" in them. Now it's working perfectly fine! Don't bother messaging spotify because they will literally not help whatsoever. 

Bless the people who posted the fix about removing elements of the hosts file! Works perfect again and even way faster than before it seems.

@Smexyskeletor @HeavenKinder Thank you guys, works perfect again now! Even loads way faster than it did before, it seems.

A rare fact, It's that I am too a HP Pavilion user and it happens the same to me. Although, that solution didn't work on my situation.

Stange... You're sure you didn't miss any of the 'spotify' or 'fastly'
things? And only one saved hosts file?

**bleep** this solved my problem, thank you very much, thank God for your existence 😮

@Smexyskeletor wrote:

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!

It even got my friend's activity tab working, that's been dead for months!

I recommend checking your hosts file for any Spotify-related entries.
The file is capable of redirecting traffic for addresses it contains, so it can break Spotify app when it contains Spotify addresses.

It's easy to check and edit, you'll need admin rights:

1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com
0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net 

(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.

* * * * A SOLUTION IS WORKING FOR ME (CROSSED FINGERS) * * * *

Hi, I had a lot of problems for two weeks. Empty foders, lost tracks, reproduction stops. Worst every single day. A lot of desinstalations and clean re instalations. Four comunications with Spotify Attention Service with no results. 

The last week I´ve deleted the Spotify lines in Host and it worked but just for a a day. Then, the same problems again. 

So... I read @Smexyskeletor solution but the Host didn´t have new Spotify lines to delete. 

Even without a new reinstalation I did this: 

With Notepad + + (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.6.3.html) I´ve added to the Host File this lines:

# 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com
# 0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net

AND NOW (at least) IS ALIVE!!!

@Smexyskeletor you are a god, thank you for the help buddy.

Suggested posts