Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcasts don't remember position (randomly)

Podcasts don't remember position (randomly)

From a couple of days I've noticed something bad about podcasts that I've didn't observe before.

I listen to podcasts quite often. They are sometimes very long so I listen to them in few parts. And it was working perfectly. Podcasts were starting where I left them before.

But lately it is not always like that. I was dissapointed more then few times because podcast playing position was reset to the begining. To the point that I started to make screenshots before closing 🙂

I can't see a pattern here. Sometimes position is remembered, sometimes not. It was always remembered before.

I don't know technical details, where position is being stored.

What I noticed than podcast url structure was changed lately. I will give two example at the end of post. Maybe my problem is somehow connected with this change?

And I noticed it because I have excel files where I keep links to podcasts I want to listen, because it is not possible to make podcasts playlist directly in Spotify which is annoying but another story.

Link examples:

Before:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1CzaBTB8mLmqbAfNAW6Yc3

Now:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/25SCoFV7udN8pklDnNgKnV?si=dDnLOdP1SQSMzE_S2jOX6g

As you can see they are longer and with "=" in the middle.

Anyway it is just side observation.

Main point is: Why is Spotify randomly reseting podcasts position now and how to fix that?

27 Replies

Unfortunately, uninstalling and reinstalling, deleting app data, clearing cache, none of these have helped. I am still experiencing the issue. This is very clearly a bug that needs to be fixed, and it is very frustrating that we have received no official response from Spotify Support, for MONTHS.

I pay for a Spotify Family subscription, and I'd like to use Spotify for podcasts, but this is making the entire experience extremely frustrating. I'd rather not switch to a different service, but it seems like that's the only solution they are currently offering.

Spotify almost never responds to users or fixes things in a timely manner. I've been having this issue as well and there are many other features users have requested that are pretty standard elsewhere that just get ignored by Spotify.

I never reported any bug before. So i just wonder: maybe it is not proper way to do that? But I don't know any other.

If is is proper way, in that case lack of any response really s*cks 😞

I'm experiencing this as well, especially when switching between devices. Frustrating.

Same here, I just switched from Apple Family to Spotify Family and am trying to give the podcasts area a fair shot, but they do not resume correctly after I put my laptop in sleep mode.

I'm not using Spotify at all inbetween and when the laptop awakes, if you're quick, you can see the slider jump from the current time back to 0:00. =(

I *think* I found a possible cause, but not a real solution. I noticed that if I have spotify open on multiple devices, say my phone and my computer, this weird jumping will happen. BUT if I close spotify on my phone, no problem. I can pause all I want.

The particularly annoying thing is that spotify will pop up on my phone automatically. 

I'm also experiencing this.

This has been happening to me as well and it is extremely frustrating! If I pause a podcast, come back to it later, listen for a while, and then pause again for a minute or two, it will reset to the position that it was at when I first paused it or go back to the beginning altogether. This is such a major bug I can't believe it hasn't been addressed and fixed yet. 

Suggested posts