Premium

Country

UK

Device

HP EliteBook 8560w

Operating System

Windows 7

My Question or Issue

Hi there. Recently, for no apparent reason (I have not downloaded any suspicious files), my Spotify has been showing pop-ups for suspicious websites separate from Spotify. These pop-ups also sometimes freeze the program although music will still continue to play. I have done multiple full virus scans, reinstalled spotify multiple times, done two system restores to before I noticed the issue and uninstalled numerous programs from my PC, yet the issue still persists. I am only having this problem on Spotify and have seen no evidence of the virus else where and am unsure what next steps to take. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Vigilanter 

One thing I can think of why this might be happening is linked to the hosts file.

It is possible that something malicious has edited the file by adding a line that would open these pop-up websites instead. Eg:

111.222.333 facebook.com

You may attempt to connect to facebook, but the IP redirects you to something completely different.

Read this Answer article on how to edit the hosts file. In your case I'd just recommend ensuring it has no lines.

Another thing I'd suggest is ensuring you have no odd add-ons in the browser. I have seen some really interesting issues caused by just one weird add-on.

I also recommend running scans with potent scanners like Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

What are the websites that pop up? 🙂

Let me know how you get on!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hello Vigilanter,

If you're pretty sure that there is no malware in your PC, then there's nothing you can do. Try factory resetting your PC, that may fix if you have a malware. For now, if you don't want pop-up ads use Spotify Web Player. Windows 7 will get outdated next year, since you won't get security updates after January 14, 2020. Better upgrade to Windows 10. I use Spotify Desktop App in Win 10 Home and I never had any issues

Marked as solution

Hey @Vigilanter 

One thing I can think of why this might be happening is linked to the hosts file.

It is possible that something malicious has edited the file by adding a line that would open these pop-up websites instead. Eg:

111.222.333 facebook.com

You may attempt to connect to facebook, but the IP redirects you to something completely different.

Read this Answer article on how to edit the hosts file. In your case I'd just recommend ensuring it has no lines.

Another thing I'd suggest is ensuring you have no odd add-ons in the browser. I have seen some really interesting issues caused by just one weird add-on.

I also recommend running scans with potent scanners like Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

What are the websites that pop up? 🙂

Let me know how you get on!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi there,

Although I could not find any lines in the host file, I did install the anti malware programs you recommend and unlike the programs I was using before, they found a lot of PUPs and adware so hopefully this will resolve the issue! Thanks a lot.

Suggested posts