Premium - Crackling, Stuttering

Solved!

Re: Premium - Crackling, Stuttering

andreaskaestel
Casual Listener

This is most likely due to sound card conflict/interrupt issues.

It's an old issue that plagued Creative sound cards for years.

I am using a Dell Latitude 6430u with Win 7 and the fix is as follows:

1. Go to 'change sound card settings'
  2. Select 'speakers/headphones' and then click properties
  3. Select the advanced tab
  4. Tick the option for 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'
  5. Restart spotify

Cylac
Gig Goer

Stuttering Playback
I have the latest Spotify client installed on my Windows computer. (Premium user)
Windows 8.1 Pro with latest Windows updates
updated video and audio drivers
Intel Xeon CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz 2.66 GHz (2 processors)
8 gigs of RAM
64-bit OS

Whenever I start using another application on Windows that accesses the drive, Spotify starts to stutter/scratch play for seconds while something else loads. I've reset my Spotify cache, turned ON and OFF "Available Offline" and there's no difference. (rebooting doesn't fix anything either)

If I load iTunes and try opening other applications I don't experience these jitters.

I'm stomped!

noice

I have same annoying problem...

TheCpt
Casual Listener

I too have this problem and I have a one month old (i.e. new) MacBook Pro

2.6 GHz i5

8GB memory

256 SSD

While I too think the issue has something to do with the software since I am having the problem WITH locally downloaded files and the problem only happens with Spotify. However I've noticed the problem is improved by turning OFF the setting "sleep hard disks when possible." It is also helped when I close all other programs. But #1 files that are being listened to should no be accessing the CURRENT song from the hard disk, they should be moved to the active memory and accessed from there if they aren't already. #2 I should be able to have other programs (say 8 tabs in internet browser, and some other smaller background programs (dropbox, mail, messages, notes, etc)) open AND not have spotify studder in the background. Perhaps spotify should allow for a reserved memory/CPU load option for higher end systems reserving say 3-5% of the CPU and 100-200 MB of memory if you guys can; but I'm no software designer. My laptop (being new) should have no problems with performance on playing music locally downloaded to my hard drive. 

However even with these additions the problem still presists, just about 30% better, a small benefit. 

Bodlar
Regular

This does not fix the problem I've perpetually had with Spotify. I've tried all the solutions in this thread to no avail. Changing my cache to an alternative drive seems to reduce the issue, but it still occurs on a sem-regular basis.

Jwrose
Casual Listener
I'm experiencing this on my iPhone 6. I signed up for their 90 day promo and was loving spotify. Suddenly, sometime last week, I started noticing the audio crackling. I mostly listen in my car so I was afraid I blew my car's speakers. After some experimenting, I relaized it only happened while using spotify. I was seriously considering being a regular subscriber after the 90 days...

JayLB
Community Legend

Hello: In what way are you using the iPhone to listen in your car? Bluetooth, airfoil, some other app feature, direct soung cable input into the stereo head unit? Might help to maybe isolate what is causing the issue. Are you plugged into the car's power point with the power cable while music is playing off of your iPhone into the car stereo system? The reason I ask I have an old Ford truck and when I used to plug my ipod into the power point and then play music while the vehicle was running and music was playing through the trucks stereo system, I ended up with a strange static noize and low level buzzing. Things not grounded right in a car electrical system can do odd things. Just some things to consider and help in self trouble shoot for you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Jay

What's a Spotify Rock Star/Rising Star and how do I become one?
Note I am not a Spotify Employee, I just help out around on the community!

| Spotify Profile | last.fm Profile | Send Me A Message | Twitter |

Jwrose
Casual Listener
Very good questions. I am plugging into the USB port in my car. The reason I'm saying the issue is spotify is I can play any other music app and it sounds flawless. If I go into the spotify app, I get crackling popping. It's not in every song, some have almost none and some have a lot. I need to do some testing apart from my car but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Jwrose
Casual Listener
One more detail, my car has spotify integration, so I can control it directly through the car's entertainment center. May or may not be relevant

JayLB
Community Legend

Hum is there a way on your car and the stereo system to try a blutooth connection just to rule out the USB connect method?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Jay

What's a Spotify Rock Star/Rising Star and how do I become one?
Note I am not a Spotify Employee, I just help out around on the community!

| Spotify Profile | last.fm Profile | Send Me A Message | Twitter |

SUGGESTED POSTS