Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problem with Russian font - Проблема с русским шрифтом

Problem with Russian font - Проблема с русским шрифтом

Hi, names of Russian songs are shown with illegal characters. How I can resolve it?

Названия песен отображаются в Spotify неправильным шрифтом и не читаются. Что делать?

Plan

Free

Country

Russia

Device

Desktop PC 

Operating System

Windows 10 x64

My Question or Issue

03.jpg
02.jpg
01.jpg
12 Replies

Hey @gedonis

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. This sounds quite odd and we'll do our best to help you sort it out.

Would you mind letting us know if you notice this behavior when you log into your account using a different device?

You can also try changing the language to English and then back to Russian to see if there's any difference.

If this doesn't do the trick, could you let us know which characters are wrong so we can take a better look?

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yes, the same problem is when I log into my account from the second device.
I changed language to English and back to Russian - no changes, I got the same problem.
Regarding letters - I see "Aaoioa" instead of "Аврора"

Hey @gedonis,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

This issue could be a result of how the PC font and encoding settings are set up or how the actual files have been created. It's a good idea to try changing your encoding settings on your PC with the steps below.

Control Panel Region > AdministrativeLanguage for non-Unicode programs > Change system locale> Select Russian

You can also check if there's any difference when you use the Unicode UTF-8 option in "Beta".

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any further questions.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Russian is already as default language on my PC.

I tried to switch on or switch off the Beta checkbox, but nothing happens. i still have the problem.

Nothing changed and I still have the problem.

Hi there @gedonis,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Can you let us know what happens if you set the Language setting to English or another roman language? Are Cyrillic names still displayed like that?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

AlexModerator

if set the Language setting to English - no changes. Cyrillic names still displayed like that. I think the problem is because Spotify does not support several common Cyrillic coding systems or there is mess with coding systems in Spotify software.

Hi again @gedonis,

Thanks for trying and keeping us posted.

As it looks to be happening with Local Files, could you let us know the source you obtained those Local Files from?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

These local files are in my hard disk. I got them 10 years ago and I do not remember where and how. The songs are very old (60 years old) and publicly available (no IP infringements) in mp3 format.

Hi @gedonis,

If those are local files, we'd recommend you try and change the names of the files.

Another thing you can try is to check if there are any updates to the language pack of your Windows like @Ver suggested. Since this is not something we can reproduce, the issue might be device related.

Can you check if those local files appear the same way on another device like your phone or the Web player?

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I have several thousands songs. It will be time consuming task to rename all of them manually! And all files have correct names already in Windows or any other mp3-player. I van rename Аврора to Аврора, but do you see any difference? I do not see.

My Windows is the latest one with all service packs. And my Windows has no problems. I have problem with the only one application - Spotify.

I have the same problem on two other laptops, so I suppose it is not Windows configuration-related problem.

To help reproduce the problem I have shared two songs for a while
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfnsrdllg9qkmzq/18_%D0%90%D0%B2%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B0.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bktdm0c3ea5gm7x/07_%D0%90%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%88%D0%BA%D0%B0.mp3?dl=0

Hi @gedonis,

Thanks for the info.

The app does support Cyrillic, but if the files are really old, they probably have outdated encoding in the metadata that we cannot support, and the only solution would be to rename those. You might consider searching for multi-file renaming tools which can help with this.

This is most likely a windows configuration issue in combination with a non-uniform encoding of the files. We tested this on our end with the files you've provided on two other players as well and have the same results. 

Here is how the metadata looks on our end:

Here is how the metadata looks like after renaming:

Here is how it looks with updated metadata in the Spotify app, compared to the original:

As you can see the app does recognize the Cyrillic naming, if proper encoding is used. We won't be able to provide a fix for this, as support is already included and we cannot guarantee that all local files will be read appropriately, as those come from outside of the Spotify service.

AlexModerator

Ok, I agree with you that this could be to metadata problem. But when I see properties of the file on my PC, I see correct metadata values - I see Аврора already, not something like "aaoeoe". So, if I see metadata correctly already, I cannot repair it by renaming!

07.jpg

Suggested posts