Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Lenovo Thinkpad T540p

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Update 1.0.83.318 broke the proxy function completely (on Windows 10).

I have set the proxy properly, tried a reinstall, cleared and re-entered the proxy.

I have to rely on a proxy and can't use spotify since the update.

There is a similar thread regarding the MacOS client in this forum: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/App-always-offline-even-with-correct-proxy-settings/m-p...

Please fix this asap.

101 Replies

Post removed - post testing

Hello everyone,

just to drop my share of knowledge. I recently came across this issue during my line of work. What I have found out is as follows:

You may disregard the 4070 port issue. I am yet to figure out for what exactly is this port being used, but I can say with reasonable amount of confidence it is not essential for Spotify to function as Spotify will fall back to 80/443 ports when 4070 is not available.

However, what seems to be the actual issue is Spotify behaving differently when proxy is explicitly configured in the program itself vs. when proxy is set to Auto-Detect or No-Proxy(I have not checked the SOCKS option).

What is essentially happening is when Spotify is configured to use explicit proxy, it adheres to all usual standards of HTTP/HTTPS protocols and everything works as expected. But, when auto-detect or no proxy option is used, Spotify suddenly starts to use some proprietary HTTP-based protocol which proxy sitting further down the line does not know how to process. So it returns HTTP 400 Bad Request error to the client and stops working.

There are two workarounds you can use: either configure explicit proxy in the Spotify program or request your proxy admin to configure proxy in such fashion when it discovers a protocol it does not understand on port 80, it lets that traffic through as TCP TUNNEL. 

The real solution, i.e. ensuring the Spotify program adheres to respective standards regardless of its proxy configuration, is up to Spotify developers.

I definitely cannot confirm your observations, in fact I am seeing the exact opposite behaviour, just tested with 1.0.92.390.g2ce5ec7d.

My Spotify client is configured to use a HTTP proxy with authentication enabled, the correct credentials are stored in the client.

I did a tcpdump on my proxy and the one and only request that is being sent is to gew1-accesspoint-b-mp8m.ap.spotify.com:4070.

Since 4070 is no standard port, the request is denied using HTTP/403 (Forbidden) and the Spotify client shows that it can't connect. No fallback to HTTP/HTTPS whatsoever.

Also, what you are proposing has to be considered a HUGE security risk: the tcp tunnel option should only be used on ports where it is expected that the proxy cannot handle the communication, i.e. on SSL-enabled ports where there is an end-to-end encryption between webserver and browser.

Allowing TCP_TUNNEL on any other ports can and will allow malware (and anythin else) to essentially bypass the proxy.

How long will it take till Spotify finally understands what our problem is... Just change your freaking ports back... Why would someone even change the ports? And well the old ports still work because the old Spotify versions can still connect. Or just give us a freaking option to disable updates! I don't want to have to install spotify again every day so I can use an old version...

Hi, do you know if Spotify fixed this issue?

Yes, I run 1.0.96.181 under debian 9 behind a proxy server (squid).

It takes about 10-20 seconds, but than it works.

Finally! Works under macOS too. Let's hope it stays that way.

So I finally don't need two versions installed? Wow

Unfortunately, It didn't work for me.

MacOS, 1.0.96.181

CNTLM Proxy => HTTP, localhost 3128

Stopped working here again today ... 

Using Spotify 1.0.98.78 I got it working on my Mac OS yesterday but not today. So I checked what I changed since then.

Our network setting (Mac OS not inside Spotify) is "Proxy - Automatic Proxy-discovery" and inside Spotify I have the webproxy (HTTP) with host and port. After some test&error I found out that Spotify can successfully connect when I turn off the "Automatic Proxy-discovery" inside my network settings. Now that Spotify is started I can click on the setting active again it doesn't matter. Just for the moment I start Spotify it has to be off (don't ask me why).

I've been complaining to spotify for months about this. They just won't admit the bug. In my experience when i launch spotify it binds to my proxy. Then when i try to login, it sends network connections directly to the internet (which i obviously block with my firewall) and fails. Why would you bind to a proxy and then try to communicate outside of that proxy connection? I see it trying to talk to 47.127.154.104.bc.googleusercontent.com:http in my TCP connections when clicking "login". Meanwhile the TCP connection right above that is spotify talking to my proxy. Keep in mind, the web player works behind the same proxy. Changing proxy settings has had no effecet. I am running th latest downloadable version as of 3/21. 

Untitled.png

Oh my friend, it's a never ending story...I don't know how the address this kind of issues but I've been complaining about this for months also.

They don't mind about us...

It's ridiculous this issue still occurs. We opened a new site at work, and about 50-60% of our users can't use spotify because it randomly decides to ignore proxy settings.

@MinerDrC My observations are a little different. I see Spotify falling back to ports 80 and 443, but it tries to use proprietary protocols on those ports, even when I explicitly set the proxy host and port in Spotify settings (in case it makes a difference, my proxy doesn't use a username and password). So setting an explicit proxy is not a solution for me. BTW, my guess is port 4070 would be used for all traffic if a connection can be made.

Still wrong with latest 1.1.5.153.gf614956d-16.

I'm behind a proxy too and I'm unable to use the newest version of Spotify because sends our proxy a CONNECT method to port 80 of a remote address, which is not (obviously) allowed by our proxy.

If you're developing an app which has to connect to port 80 behind a proxy, it should use the standard methods (GET, POST, whatever) unless the application protocol is not plain HTTP. In that last case, that is, if the app protocol is not HTTP, it should use another port or, better, it should try to connect to 443, 8443 or similar.

Our proxy properly allows HTTP traffic on port 80 and only allows CONNECT methods to ports 443 and 8443. This is by company policy and we haven't had problems so far. It puzzles me why the Spotify devs chose such a strange behavior, even more so when the previous release worked fine.

Hello!

I'm facing a rather wierd problem with proxy. I can log in, see my playlist by i can't play any song. When I hit play it just stuck there.

I'm on Ubuntu with the latest Spotify version with a proxy. I've allowed port 4070 both in firewall and squid but it just won't play any song.

Anyone facing the same problem?

thanks

@tupanu

You may need to configure Squid to allow other methods than HTTP/HTTPS. Or Spotify might be using different ports for content and metadata (so you'd need to open up additional ports).

A work-around would be to set up a SOCKS proxy and use that instead.

Still no news on this...

Working at one of the biggest IT companies here in my country, and no one can connect to Spotify

It's ridiculous

Same here proxy without autification

Suggested posts