Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Lenovo Thinkpad T540p

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Update 1.0.83.318 broke the proxy function completely (on Windows 10).

I have set the proxy properly, tried a reinstall, cleared and re-entered the proxy.

I have to rely on a proxy and can't use spotify since the update.

There is a similar thread regarding the MacOS client in this forum: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/App-always-offline-even-with-correct-proxy-settings/m-p...

Please fix this asap.

101 Replies

I'm experiencing the same issue: http proxy, no authentication, v1.1.10.546, Arch Linux. Can't connect or log in. Works fine through the web browser, or outside the corporate proxy. Somehow I hadn't run into this until a month or so ago. I'd be happy to use the web player if it supported 320kbps. Google Music plays 320kbps through the web browser, there's no reason Spotify can't do the same. And what's worse, the open source third-party client Mopidy+Iris plays Spotify, correctly through my proxy, at 320kbps, with a web browser interface. Spotify should be embarrassed.

Same issue as beeing described. please fix it.

Same issue here,

@Spotify > please fix it , please use standard 80/443 ports to reach web services !

Using squid , with or without authentication, with or without allowing connect 4070 ssl ...

FWIW this appears to FINALLY be working. I can now use auto-detect (the default proxy setting) and it *just* works.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to get my Squid proxy working.

As soon as I allowed SSL connect to port 4070 it allowed my desktop client to log in.

Seriously though, this is stupid.

Edit - further info

Using proxy = http

Spotify desktop for Windows version 1.1.30.658.gf13cde74

It appears the connection on SSL port 4070 is to url such as:

xxx-accesspoint-x-xxxx.ap.spotify.com:4070.

This only controls logging in, as other urls are used to stream music, playlists, etc.

And those other urls always use normal SSL port 443.

So, quite literally, the only purpose for that non-standard port is logging in.

But... the web client hits login[x].spotify.com:443

If the web client can logon via standard SSL, why can't the desktop client?

I reverted to 1.0.80.474 to make the spotify client working behind a proxy ...

Poor regression 😞

🙄

I have a 1.0.82.447 version in my work notebook...

1.1.34.694.gac86a2b3 Still not connecting to defined proxy.

I confirm, this is still a big issue.
I can only recommend to rollback to 1.0.82.447 and block automatic updates.

Spotify want maybe not offer their services to corporate employees ..

regards.

I tried also the older version 1.0.82.447.0 but with the same result

This is an awesome trick. Thanks!

Still doesn't work using version 1.1.47.684
Stay on 1.0.82.447.g975ad224

It's a shame ....

A 21th century web application not fully http based.  Not proxy compliant ...

Spotify dev team : you can do better .... you did it and you broke it !

Congrats for this regression ...

Hey everyone,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need in the Community.

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread. We'd like to point out that Spotify no longer officially supports the use of proxy. Because of this issues with it are expected behavior. You can however submit an idea on our board, that requests this feature. This page has detailed instructions on how to do this. We always aim to improve, so you can be sure that your feedback will reach the right teams

Keep in mind that we also recommend the use of the most recent version of the app. This is the most stable one and ensures that you can make use of all hotfixes that were released.

Hope this info is useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

If Spotify doesn’t support the use of a proxy, why are there proxy configuration settings in the UI? Why should we have to request things that already exist? This is a ridiculous answer. 

Completely agree.
The proxy feature is part of the application, and not referenced as "experimental".
Moreover, this feature was fully working in the past , and still working on the "server side" (because it is working with old spotify client releases). Why would you stop this support ? thousands (millions?) of spotify users are working in an enterprise environment, behind a corporate web proxy. (<sarcastic> does the music listening will be a supported feature in the next releases ?</sarcastic>)
regards.

Agree with others in below comments; should you decide that a feature is being deprecated, then please also remove it from the app, otherwise fix it. As a paid subscriber, I have opened calls on this and 1 + years later, not fixed. The decision to retire the use of a feature, but still keep it in the app and keep the site live to support it tells me there is some disconnect somewhere.  All on this thread have come to the conclusion that the subscriber base is not relevant and have managed to stay on the older versions by disabling auto update, easily doable.

I subscribe to the family plan, and use this app on mobile/home and work, with work being the primary location, the use of non-standard ports (80 / 443) means that when this version does die, or you retire the port usage, I have no choice but to cancel the subscription and move on to Pandora or other streaming music vendors.. From the comments here, and what I know at work, this has been the norm for most, give up and move on.  IF you could just set up the app to fall back to standard ports when all else fails, then we would be okay with usage and upgrading, but when that does not happen, we have no choice, stay on old or move to another vendor.  To bad the post does not have a thumbs down vote option, maybe I'll put a request in for that enhancement, and it might get approved, but then maybe not, support does not care or listen. 

Hi Mihail, thanks for reading this thread.

I do understand when a vendor has to remove a set of features because it has no resources to support them. However, as many fans in this thread have stated, enterprise environments still rely on HTTP proxies, and so proxy support remains a must for web applications (be it a real web app or an electron, node, etc). Spotify should work without a hitch on any proxy supporting CONNECT method for TLS on ports 443 or 8443, the same way we can log in and use Google Workspaces, Slack, Discord, Zoom, Youtube, Twitch ... you name it ... without experiencing connection errors.

The relevant matter here is using the CONNECT / TLS method only on standard ports and not using CONNECT on strange port such as 80, 4070, etc. That's all it takes.

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

We're constantly aiming to improve our features so we hope you’ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future. 

You can read more about how your feedback reach Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Let's update this in 2023 as proxy as still not working, what the **bleep** guys? This an option nearly every software is capable of and the client already worked with proxies before...

Suggested posts