Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Queue confusion

Queue confusion

What I REALLY want to do is play one song. That's it. Choose a song and play it. Too much to ask? A bizarre request? Well, not to me.

Someone advised right-clicking to "Add to Queue". Ok - then what? Where is this "Queue"?

For a world-conquering outfit like Spotify, the Spotify Windows player is unbeliveably basic and bad - where are the EQ settings for instance?

Why does it unconditionally trap function key presses and thus stop other applications from working properly?

We all hate web sites that auto-play some other junk video after we've seen the first one, yet this is how Spotify is designed: to play, play, play without stopping. Yes, yes, playlists playlists, but why must I go to all that hassle to play, when I want to, just one song, without having to rush for the off switch as soon as it stops?

And why does it seems to "install" itself every time I run it?

Spotify is the most featureless and basic Windows music player ever.

Later...

I tried replying to a previos reply but the message (at just over 2 mths) was too old... (ridiculous)

"sebasty" replied with this:

understand it can be confusing, let me help you by explaining a few things. 🙂

I suggest reading this article about the Queue feature, it has useful information on what is possible to do with it.
The feature exists in the web player as well, where the layout looks similar to what's on the desktop.

Spotify doesn't have its own EQ settings for the desktop app. If you have an iPad/iPhone or Android, they have the EQ - read this for more information.

For desktop, users recommend the paid Equalify Pro software or free Equalizer APO software.
There are other software available as well as Windows' own equalizer. 🙂

Spotify installing itself every time it's started sounds a little fishy to me. Have you made sure the file/shortcut is not for the Spotify installer? The normal Spotify icon should be present in your Start menu.

My further reply:

Either Spotify is even more basic than imagined or teh Help info is woeful - or both.

For example:

The Play Queue is far too difficult to discover, being accessed only by an obscure icon and by no other means, afaik.

Say you have a track that is paused and you want to start playing one song only. Hardly unreasonable. The song in "Now Playing" can not be removed as Remove From Queue (on the paused song) does nothing.

Then there is the "Next Up" list - I have zero interest in whatever has been put there by whomever, yet how do you delete the contants of that queue?

The s/w feels very incomplete and lacking baisc feature such as how to empty all these queues or sub-queues or whatever they are.

1 Reply

Hey @jasjas, welcome to the Community.

Hope you are doing great!

Thanks for taking time to write this!

I will make sure to pass this to the right folks at Spotify 🙂

What's the problem with Spotify that it reinstalls itself everytime? Could you tell me more about it?

The queue is there, on the right bottom row. It is the easisest way to access it, easier than any other Desktop mediaplayer out there, and I have tested them all before I discovered Spotify. Just tap the queue icon and a large list of songs automatically there. Now playing separates the current song from that long list so it is easier for you to distinguish it. Next up shows all other songs coming up after the current song, those songs in a playlists you have prepared or have followed. It's that easy!

And to remove any song from there? Even easier! Just select one or how many you want and just hit the Del key or right click and hit Remove from queue. 

If you would like the queue to work in a different way or have a great idea on how to improve it please submit it in Idea Submissions board or support it if this idea has been already submitted.

There is a new idea about a new UI concept there as well so if you would like you can give your support 😉

About the equalizer, Spotify has decided not to introduce it to the Desktop version at the time this idea was submitted but you can start another one to bring it to the attention of Spotify again 🙂

If you do need any help just ping me 🙂

Thanks!

Suggested posts