Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Queue gets deleted when switching devices

Queue gets deleted when switching devices

Dear Spotify,

I live in constant fear of losing my queue.

I use Spotify Premium on three devices: A stationary computer at home with Win10 that is connected to hifi-speakers, a laptop with Win10 which I carry to work and university and an Android cellphone that is mobile too, of course.
I mostly use Spotify on the stationary device, because it's connected to my soundsystem and thus provides the superior sound. However my couch is on the other side of the living room so naturally I use my laptop or cellphone to love a song, move a track to a playlist or add related music to my queue. But I also do those things sometimes on my stationary computer and every once in a while when I open the queue on one of those devices, all the tracks in there are gone and have been replaced by what seems to be an earlier version of the queue on the other device.

This behavior is confusing and seems counter-intuitive to my understanding. Could therefore someone please explain what logic is behind switching devices and handling the play queue?

All the best from Vienna

12 Replies

bump

Same. I will set up a long queue and when I switch between devices the queue has been deleted. Super frustrating.

Hey @AM89

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

Could you let us know if this happens immediately when you switch devices or some minutes later? 

Also, we'd like to know if it only occurs when you switch to a specific device. 

Lastly, would you mind letting us know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update?

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I have a similar issue, it happens immediately and to me it deletes my PC's queue when my phone connects and it's been happening ever since I have had spotify.

I have a similar setup. Having this issue as well when switching from a MacBook Pro 16" '19 to an iPhone 13 mini. Both have most up to date versions of Spotify and it started happening more often in the last few weeks. Happens immediately after switching device from desktop to phone. The music just stops. Also the phone doesn't have the currently playing info so I've had to switch devices using the laptop's devices options, not the phone which is abnormal. It also doesn't remember volume levels on iOS app and blasts my ears when starting to play music via the phone interface after the queue gets dropped. I keep my laptop on 95% volume to match the rest of my system but listen on the phone at around 50% volume and the iOS starts playing on 95%. Not sure if this is related but it happens along with the related queue drop between devices issue.

Hey @disc_count,

Thanks for your reply in this thread.

In this case, since you mentioned this started to happen more often, we'd suggest performing a clean reinstall of the app on both devices to see if you notice any difference in this behavior. You can do it by following the steps in this article.

On another note, did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details. It'll help us a lot if you send us the exact Spotify version you have currently running on both your devices.

Lastly, it'd be really helpful if you send us a video recording of the behavior you kindly mentioned. You can attach it in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google drive and make it public, so we can visualize it.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hey there! I am having this issue, too. I mean, everybody has it, I guess. You cannot switch devices while keeping your queue. That's really annoying, counter-intuitive like written before, and should not be a thing in 2023. Please, Spotify, fix it. Let us easily switch between devices while simply keep 1 queue for all devices or let each device have a different queue. But not let each device delete each other

Thank you!

Everyone has this issue, and it's infuriating. Spotify's UX has become extremely dated and is missing MANY essential features for a fully fleshed out music player. It's not 2011 anymore... can we get a UX for 2023, please?

I was sick of being an unpaid software tester for your apps so I got a different service. Good luck.

Kind of sad to see that after months and years of this thread being started that there is still no clear cut solution. Still having this issue every week.

I agree - this is HIGHLY annoying. If you add new songs to a queue on a Mac (right clicking and add to queue), then even opening Spotify on an iPhone will make it disappear with no trace. It conditions me to never click spotify links on an iPhone, but I still end up doing it unthinkingly. What it SHOULD do is keep the queue, or if it needs time to update as soon as it does merge the two queues. Or as a worst case have SOME way of retrieving the previous queue, or just don't merge them at all. This has been the case for years and it's infuriating that it hasn't been fixed yet!

They won't fix it because they don't care!!!!!!

Suggested posts