Premium

Country

United States

Device

Windows 10

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Lately every time I create a radio station from a song or artist or whatever, it takes me to what is actually a playlist.  As a result, I cannot mark the songs with a thumbs up or thumbs down.  This makes the radio feature not very useful.

2019-02-13 12_43_08-Window.png
30 Replies

Hello all,

I have noticed that if I Iisten to any song, album, or artist radio stations, the playlist does not continue with similar songs.  Instead, the playlist starts over.  Is there a new function for this!  I am very annoyed with this!!  I like to listen to a variety of songs!  I also discover music I may not have heard before when the station or playlist offers other songs!!  I am really quite annoyed!!  I would love  for this feature to return or be enlightened if there is another way to use this feature!!😔😔😤😤😠😠

Hey @Chanteur@jairoduque and @Coldmute,

You can always enable Autoplay in the settings. That way music will always keep playing continuously based on what was playing.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

@Guido wrote:

You can always enable Autoplay in the settings. That way music will always keep playing continuously based on what was playing.

Have a nice day.

You however cannot thumb up/down to the songs to have it customize and tailor it to your interests...

Plus I cannot play Radio Stations on my Echo Dot devices, whereas I can with Pandora.

@Chanteur wrote:

@Guido wrote:

Have a nice day.

You however cannot thumb up/down to the songs to have it customize and tailor it to your interests...

Plus I cannot play Radio Stations on my Echo Dot devices, whereas I can with Pandora.

Not to mention that this behavior isn't always desirable.

@jairoduque wrote:

In the most recent update, Spotify changed the radio function. To make a radio of an artist or song, you must go to the artist and select Radio or with right click, on a song, start radio.

That's true, but unfortunately not for all users. I had the same issue as OP and when reaching out to support determined that it was due to being bucketed in a test group which there's no way to get out of. Some users have the behavior you're describing with radio functions working properly, others like me and OP have the inferior playlist version of radio.

I'm unfortunately probably going to have to cancel my account and go back to Google Play Music (or, sigh, Youtube Music) because of it.

Great UX work Spotify! Bang-up job.

One workaround: you can create a playlist with a few seed songs and do "go to playlist radio" from that. This seems to have the original behavior.

Hey @AlekPol, welcome to the Community.
Hope you're doing great!

Could you try that on a mobile device?

I have the same issue on Desktop but on my iPhone the stations I follow do show up.

Please let me know 🙂

I'm on Android, but the station situation on my phone is different from either of my computers. Some of my saved stations show up but only a fraction. There seems to be no reason for the difference between the three versions of spotify. 

Hey @AlekPol,

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Could you check the Stations section and share a screenshot of what you see?

@jairoduque & @ardacebi

Could you guys check your Desktop apps are doing the same in the Stations section?

Any screenshots would be helpful.

robocop_bong
robocop_bong
Casual Listener

One workaround: you can create a playlist with a few seed songs and do "go to playlist radio" from that. This seems to have the original behavior.

Thanks!

I was experiencing the same problem (song-radio is just an uneditable playlist), and can confirm this work-around works for me (thumbs up/down are available this way).

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us about the Radio function in the Spotify app.

As you may have noticed, there have been some recent changes made to the way Radio works. The main changes are the following:

• When you click on Go to Song/Album/Artist Radio via the three-dot menu, Spotify takes you to a pre-made, finite playlist*. When you get to the end of these playlists, if you have Autoplay turned on, a radio station will be automatically generated based on that playlist.

* Note: this does not include Playlist Radio, which functions like the old Radio.

screen1.PNG

• You can now click on the FOLLOW button in each radio playlist; this will save it under Playlists in the left sidebar so that you can find it easily when you want to listen to it later.

screen2.PNG

• The 'Create New Station' button, which used to be in Your Library > Stations, has been removed.
  • You can find a list of recommended stations in the Radio menu in the left sidebar in the desktop app*.

* Note: this option is no longer available on the mobile app.

screen3.PNG

As you get familiar with the new Spotify Radio, we wanted to give you a few tips about how to make the most of it:

1. You can now see the number of followers each radio playlist has in the info at the top of the playlist.
  2. You can create a separate folder under Playlists in the left sidebar, where you can save and keep track of all your radio playlists.
  3. You can easily access the radio playlist for any artist by searching for them; you will see their playlist automatically comes up in the list of results.

Lastly, if you have any feedback about the new Radio, as with any new feature, we'd love to hear from you! Just head over to the relevant thread here and leave your feedback as a comment in the thread. We'll make sure we pass it on to the right folks.

In the meantime, if you have any questions regarding how the new Radio works, feel free to reach out to us by creating a new thread in the Community - we'll be happy to answer any questions there.

Thanks! Stay awesome.

Suggested posts