Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Random Stopping with CloudFlare DNS (1.1.1.1)

Random Stopping with CloudFlare DNS (1.1.1.1)

Country

UK

Device

Device Agnostic

Operating System

Windows, Linux

My Question or Issue

When using cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1) playback stops and starts randomly (about every 10-50 seconds) with the message "Can't play the current song."

This issue only affects desktop/web applications. I have tested on Windows (Microsoft Store) and Linux (Flatpak) with version 1.1.56.595.g2d2da0de; I have also tested with the web app (open.spotify.com) and it affects all three. I don't have a mac to test on.

Changing to another DNS provider such as Google (8.8.8.8) fixes the issue but this is not ideal and shouldn't have to be a requirement.

5 Replies

Yep, I am seeing this issue as well. Initially I thought it was my local DNS server (pihole) which was causing issues but eventually narrowed it down to a machine with 1.1.1.1 hard coded in, switch to 8.8.8.8 and the problem stops. 

I'm using version 1.1.57.443.ga029a6c4 on Windows 10, although it seems to be affecting my android device as well. That said it doesn't seem to affect my Mac.

Another affected Mac user here, although I'm reasonably certain the problem started about 10 days ago when I was on Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS and I switched to CloudFlare's 1.1.1.1. I also have their WARP beta installed, so I'd disabled that for now.

I've switched back to Google DNS now and it's been fine for the past few minutes (normally it would pause for 8 to 10 seconds every 30 seconds or so).

It never happened on my iPhone, which I guess was picking up DNS settings from whatever wifi it was connected to.

This was driving me mad. Lots of trial and error troubleshooting led me to DNS. I was using cloudflare 1.1.1.3 and tried 1.1.1.2. The problem went away when I switched to google DNS. I'm a windows desktop app user and was setting DNS via DHCP on my router

Exactly the same experience as the above posters - my router had the default DNS hardcoded as 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1.

Switching to Google DNS completely fixed issue. Using Windows 10 Spotify app, v1.1.59.712.g54f36e5d-a. iOS app unaffected.

A year later, same issue, same workaround. Not good, Spotify 😞

Suggested posts