Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Random songs/albums that aren't saved to library/playlist won't play

Solved!

Random songs/albums that aren't saved to library/playlist won't play

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Windows PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

As a lot of other users have posted, my spotify will not play most songs that I don't have in a playlist already. It just shows the black disc icon for the album art and won't play. Additionally, a lot of playlists that I haven't downloaded, will show little to none of the songs actually in them. I have tried the host file fix that seems to help most people but it did nothing for me.

58 Replies

I have this problem to and none of the fixes are working either, ill be able to play the song on ps4 and tablet but on my pc it wont show up in a playlist and when i search up the song ill click play on it and itll show a black disc and wont play the song, when i tried a clean reinstall it just made me lose access to more songs on my pc....i tried every fix they mentioned and so far nothing worked 😕 and it doesnt seem to be a program problem from what i saw someone say so i dont know what the problem is i was woundering if anyone had the same exact problem and so far you are the only one even close to having the same problem as me 😕 i still dont know what to do.

this song and most i have saved in a playlist wont playthis song and most i have saved in a playlist wont playwont play if i search it up either (only on pc)wont play if i search it up either (only on pc)

Hey @Peter, thanks for responding!

Spotify Version: 1.1.0.237
Device + OS version: macOS Mojave 10.14.3

I tried to clean uninstall Spotify by going to Caches, deleting the com.spotify.Client folder then going to Application Support and deleting the Spotify folder, but that just made me unable to play any song at all (before I could play certain songs), and it also deleted all the songs off all of my playlists. I also tried a different method: making a copy of hosts, deleting any entry that was Spotify related and then saving it. After I tried this method, I checked the locked hosts file it was still the same as before I edited it. A seperate website said something about disabling SIP, but I wasn't going to take that chance. 

All the songs on all of my playlists got deleted and all songs don't play (as seen at the bottom left-hand corner)All the songs on all of my playlists got deleted and all songs don't play (as seen at the bottom left-hand corner)Spotify made playlists are also empty.Spotify made playlists are also empty.

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate your patience so far.

Keep in mind that if you're seeing empty playlists, we'd recommend heading here instead and adding your +VOTE and info to that Ongoing Issue instead.

If this issue occurs for you on a Windows device, we'd recommend trying the steps to check your Hosts file provided in this Spotify Answer and let us know how that goes. 

If you're on a Mac device, make sure to follow these steps instead:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop. 
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit.
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

However, if those steps don't do the trick, make sure to add your +VOTE and let us know in a comment.

Please make sure to include a timestamp on when this happens for you. 

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies, thanks!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

3/1/2019 2:10PM

So I have had this problem since last week, and it has not been resolved with other solutions in the Community. This solution did not work for me either. I have a handful of songs on Katy Perry's 'One of the Boys' album that will not play. I followed the steps provided here with no luck unfortuately. 

Hello,

Account: Premium

Windows 10

All playlists empty, no way to play any song at all since last week. I tried to remove cache, reboot, desinstall, reinstall to no avail.

Spotify_2019-03-05_13-29-25.png

Any idea?

Hello Dev Team and all users,

I have just created a brand new Spotify account, installed Spotify for Desktop and tried playing songs but I am unable to play any song. I am from India and the service is recently launched in India.

Being one of the world's best music streaming service, I am totally disappointed with the service. I am a advanced computer user and have done all possible steps mentioned in the Spotify help sections (hosts, firewall, restarts, etc.). I am able to search for songs, artists, playlists, albums, etc but the moment you hit play, nothing happens.

I have a 100Mbps connection and Spotify program is allowed through my Windows 7 firewall

Checked with Antivirus disabled - no success

Checked the hosts file and there is no spotify entries there

Uninstalled and re-installed Spotify desktop app - no success

Cleaned my PC with a third-party junk cleaner (Windows temp files, cache, history, junk, registry, etc.) - no success

Tried even with a VPN - no success

Device: PC

Plan: Free

I believe this is something to do with the user's IP address interfering with your service settings. This is a bug at your end guys. Please fix it.

Hey @ScottAnderson, what happens if you save a song or album to your Library or to a playlist. Does it play from there? Also, let us know an example of what you're trying to play, along with a timestamp of when exactly the error occurs. 

@teebobeet is this still happening? If so, there's another thread being investigated here which closer resembles what you're experiencing. We suggest you go there and add your vote and comment. 

Thanks!

Plan

Premium

Device

Macbook

Operating System

MacOS 10.14

Spotify Desktop 

1.1.1.348.g9064793a 

Images, songs, friend feed are not loading on the desktop app. Web player works fine on the same device. I have uninstalled / reinstalled the app with no effect.

I have also tried editing the hosts file but there weren't any lines with Spotify in there.

Screenshot 2019-03-13 at 17.05.41.png

@Jemi : Thanks. It is still happening, but I cornered the issue to when I'm behind my proxy (but this is odd, some colleagues have the same router with no problem, but when they log their spotify account on my computer, it doesn't work either.

I did look at the post you mentionned but this didn't solved my problem.

OK, for my part, I "solved" the problem by using another proxy...so, no spotify issue. Sorry.

I have the same problem. I have a free acocunt from India. I have been using Spotify for a while and the problem is really hindering my usage. For example when I search for Linkin Park. 75 % of their albums are missing. Few of my songs are greyed out and cant play them. I have had two accounts and both seem to have been suffering this issue.  This is been happening since the last two days. There is no mention of spotify in hosts and your solution seems irrelevent. I currently using spotify on my Mac running on the latest version of Mojave and an android phone Running on Pie. Both Seems to be affected by this Issue. 

Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 11.53.48 AM.png

@Jemi I was not able to reply to a specific post (weird) so I am writing here. I was not able to add any track to my playlists. Please fix this bug

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the info provided so far. We're still working on it with the right team.

@ScottAnderson can you show us what happens when you try to add a track to a playlist? 

Thanks!

Hey all I've got a similar problem. My Spotify for Samsung Galaxy S9+ is stuck only playing 10 songs. It's on shuffle and it won't advance to any other songs. I even tried to make another playlist and move my songs but I can't add any songs to the new playlist. 

I'm not a premium member. 

I have exactly the same problem on Win7, Spotify v.1.1.4.197.g92d52c4f.

Cleaning AppData\Local\Spotify folder and restarting helps for a while, but the bug comes back later.

Hi. I'm currently going through this exact same issue. It's been 4 days now (from Tuesday 23rd Apr). I've been a premium member for over a year now and this is the first time that this has ever happened. I've tried restarting, reinstalling, switching off Hadrware Acceleration, everything! But songs that are not saved to my "Songs" cannot be played. It just keeps moving on to the next song and before it hits 1 second, it moves on to the next song and this goes on and on. Can't even play on my iPhone first then switch device to my macbook 😞

I am using macOS Mojave version 10.14.4 and Spotify version 1.1.5.153

Help please! :'(

Thanks a lot in advance

Marked as solution

Hey everyone,

Thank you for the reports you've provided so far. The right team has concluded that for the most part this is due to individual network configurations, or modifications by third party apps. For Spotify to work properly, we suggest that you reset any network configurations to default, and disable any third party apps that may interfere with Spotify.

If that doesn't work, we suggest that you create a new post in the boards and we'll help you out from there. Thanks!

Hi - I was having this problem too and I realized it's because I was running a VPN on my computer. I turned my VPN off and miraculously the songs started playing again. That's going to be frustrating if I have to turn my VPN off every time I want to play music on Spotify....

Suggested posts